Front vibration and noise 83 Suburban Diesel 4x4 - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Standard SFA Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized Solid Front Axle Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 01-15-2004, 02:55 PM
Suburban4x4

Front vibration and noise 83 Suburban Diesel 4x4

One of my Suburbans has been sitting for a year. I pulled it with a dolly it to some property I have, so I took off the drive shaft to move it. The slip yoke was covered, but some fluid had leaked out before being covered. Yesterday, I reinstalled the drive shaft. I drove around town with no problem. Last night I drove 30 miles roundtrip. At highway speeds I noticed a slight vibration coming from the front. Also, what I initially thought was just road noise started to increased as I drove back home. The 4wd does engage and the vehicle will move forwards and backwards, but sometimes there is a loud pop or bang sound just after it engages.
I am not very familiar with the 4wd systems, but before I start spending more money than the vehicle is worth, I would like some advice on what some of the probably causes might be and if there is a service a service I need to have done. Thanks for any advice.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 01-15-2004, 04:32 PM
Can't Get Enough

Re: Front vibration and noise 83 Suburban Diesel 4x4

Did you mark the driveshaft's relationship to the yoke before you took it off?
If not, you probably put it in "upside down", so now it is not balanced the same way as before.
That popping is probably your u-joints. I'd go ahead and replace the u-joints and reinstall the shaft.
Make sure you mark the shaft before you take it out so you can put it back in the same way.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 01-15-2004, 04:48 PM
Suburban4x4

Nope I didn't mark the drive shaft, thanks that FYI I will remember to do that next time <grin>. UPDATE: I took the Suburban to a mechanic who put it on an axle lift. All the fluids are okay. Then it was put into 4wd, and there were no unusual noises or binding at that time. BUT....when on the ground and put into 4wd it acts like the brakes are being applied. When you try and drive it above 10 mph, it acts like the front wheels are fighting each other and the front end wobbles and the tires seem to slide. My mechanic (not necessarily a 4wd expert)recommended that remove the end caps and spray WD40 onto the end of the axles. Haven't done it till I got a second opinion from some one here.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 01-15-2004, 07:57 PM
blazinwest

dont listen to that idiot. mine does that on pavement or hard surfaces. cause there is tiny variations in the axle gear ratios, tire size, and tire pressure. and other factors. so dont drive on pavement. problem solved.
[img]images/graemlins/chair.gif[/img]
post #5 of (permalink) Old 01-15-2004, 08:40 PM
Suburban4x4

I will take not driving it on roads anymore under consideration <grin>. My concern is that this condition is a new development with all other factors being the same.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 01-15-2004, 08:48 PM
blazinwest

i meant with it in 4 wheel drive [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode