Gear advice needed - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Standard SFA Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized Solid Front Axle Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 01-05-2004, 06:55 PM Thread Starter
Can't Get Enough

Gear advice needed

I'm looking for some advice. Right now, I have 3.73's and 33" tires.
I want to go with 35"s in the future, so am looking at changing the gears to either 4.10 or 4.56.
This is for my Suburban, about 80% on the road and 20% off. I'm leaning towards 4.10's.
As far as driveability, performance and gas mileage, any recommendations?

Thanks. [img]images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 01-05-2004, 08:17 PM
88_Runner_SAS

Re: Gear advice needed

I've got a 79 GMC shortbed with 6" lift and 35's, 350 and some mods. I went with the 4.10's and it does good. When I had it in moab it did pretty good. Sometimes I wish i would have went with 4.56's but as it is I get around 8 to 12 mpg depending on how hard I drive it, but it also has an RV cam edlebrock intake and 600cfm carb. Its kind of a toss up, and depends on the wheelin if its mud then you'd probably be fine rock I think you'd want 4.56's for sure. I can tell you that you'll probably notice only a slight difference from 3.73's to 4.10's especially when you're going to 35's. I know I'm kind of rambling, if were doing it again for the first time I'd probably go with 4.56's. Mine is driven about 50/50 offroad and on.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 01-06-2004, 09:24 AM Thread Starter
Can't Get Enough

Thanks for the info. I've got some time to figure out which way to go since the funds are limited.
I'm fairly decent with a wrench, is this something I should attempt myself, or leave it to a shop?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 01-06-2004, 08:45 PM
88_Runner_SAS

It's a good idea to have someone there that has done it before, if you know someone that has. I did my rear with help and got a good pattern on the teeth but I over torqued the pinion and crushed the crush sleeve to far and had to replace the pinion bearings after 2000k. The crush sleave was the touchiest part for me. My D-44 front had no crush sleave, I did that one and had no problems. So if you don't know anybody who has done it, I would try and scrape up the cash to have it professionaly done. [img]images/graemlins/AR15firing.gif[/img] [img]images/graemlins/RockOn.gif[/img]
post #5 of (permalink) Old 01-06-2004, 09:09 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

depends on what tranny you have. If you have an overdrive (700) then you could get away with 4.56s quite well but then again if you have a 700 running a larger tire definately put a coller on it and keep on eye on the temp (I have blown up 4 700R4s in my day till I went to a TH400). I have 4.56 and 40s currently and works pretty good and I ran 35s with those gears too with the 3 speed tranny and you are running like 3000 RMP at 65 mph.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode