smoked starter confusion - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Standard SFA Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized Solid Front Axle Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 01-02-2004, 03:14 AM
tool

smoked starter confusion

Hey fellas, I hope you can give me a hand with this one. Recently the starter went out on my 88 k30 diesel (6.2), so I through in a rebuild and also had the same trusted mechanic go through my alternator and freshen it up a bit. So anyway, I put the new starter and alternator in today and reconnect the batteries and get zero power throughout the entire truck. No lights, glowplugs,nothing. Now...before the starter blew (seized) I noticed smoke coming from the starter and a cable or two. I know the batteries are ok, so my next thought is a toasted cable. Would a fried starter cable cause all electrical to go out on the truck????? If I didn't explain this well enough please let me know. I use this truck to plow here in the upper pininsula of michigan, and god knows when the next snow storm is on its way! thanks for any advice
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 01-02-2004, 10:01 AM
Can't Get Enough

Re: smoked starter confusion

If the positive cable went then that is a good possibility. check along the length of the cable for spots in the isulation that are soft or where it is noticable that the cable is broken. New cable shouldn't cost much (10 bucks) and is only a few minute job.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 01-02-2004, 11:17 AM
Way Outta Control

Smoke from a cable indicates excessive resistance. You can't have excessive resistance and expect it to work. That resistance can be inside the cables - even inside the insulation. It can also be right at the connection where the cable attaches to the terminals.
It can be on any cable, either positive or negative cables, even the body to engine ground strap.
Check them all!

One easy way - spray kerosene (WD-40's just kerosene and perfume) on the cables, then crank the starter, or try. The kerosene will get hot and smoke like crazy at the resistance spots.

After it's repaired, wipe off all the WD-40 - it attracts moisture - the can says it repels it - that's not true - try it!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 01-03-2004, 01:30 AM
tool

Thanks for the help. I replaced the starter cable, and a few other cables that looked a little worn and all is well. thanks again. Great website! [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode