Tranny rebuild? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Standard SFA Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized Solid Front Axle Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-23-2003, 06:38 PM
88_Runner_SAS

Tranny rebuild?

I'm new to this board, and I thought I'd start with a question. Here's some info on my 79 GMC- I've rebuilt the 350 4-bolt, 6" of lift, 35" Swamper SSR's, 4.10 gears, and I rebuilt the 205 case. All work was done by me, and with roughly 15,000 on the truck everything works great. The only thing not rebuilt is the 350 turbo tranny, and its time. Its dumping tranny fluid into my t-case terribly. Anyone rebuilt their own? If so do you have any idea on the price of cluthes, pump, and what I tricks I might have to use? Or whatever else I may need? I have no doubt I can do it successfully, just looking for some tips. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanx
Josh
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-25-2003, 08:58 AM
GMH
Journeyman

Re: Tranny rebuild?

The leaking is not the trannys fault.Inside the trans to t/c adapter there are Two seals that go in from either end,and seal on the coupling sleeve.If the trans is getting weak now would be a good time to do it though.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 12-25-2003, 01:57 PM
88_Runner_SAS

Thanx. I was wondering if there was any seals there. I've never worked on a 4x4 tranny and wasn't sure if there may be seals inside the tranny. I 'll have to pull it into the shop and drop the t-case.

Thanx
Josh [img]images/graemlins/RockOn.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 12-25-2003, 10:46 PM
Can't Get Enough

Rebuild kits shouldn't be that much for the 350. I paid around $50 for the kit for a TH400 at a local tranny supply shop. Don't go to a parts store, find an actually trannsmission supply store.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 12-26-2003, 05:24 PM
88_Runner_SAS

What does a kit include, other than the clutches? Just wondering if it had a pump. If they are that cheap I'll no doubt go through while I'm working on it.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 12-27-2003, 01:09 PM
Can't Get Enough

the kit was all the seals and rings and the clutches and the metal plates that go between them were seperate, but total it was about 50. i don't remember the price i paid for my pump though. It was not part of the kit. Wasn't too much though. I think i paid 180 for the kit, clutches, pump and torque converter.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode