divorced transfer case? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Standard SFA Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized Solid Front Axle Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-20-2003, 11:27 PM
big84k

divorced transfer case?

i was wondering if you could put a divorced transfer case in a jimmy.you see i just bout broke the entire driveline in my truck.started out when i was just playin in the mud ,got a little stuck so tried backing out.moved bout 3 ft put it in drive gased it.snap goes the 10 bolt.thought no biggie just new rearend needed.so i bought a 12 bolt &put it in,so im redy to go,wrong transfer case is broke too so i think pulling the transfer case and getting it rebuilt is the thing to do next,so i go to pull it.next get everything unhooked ,ready to pullit and the whole tailend of the transmission case comes with it.so now i have a 2wd trans in it and only 2wd.the transfer case is a 208 which i think sucks.my questions is can i use a divorced np 205 transfer case in a blazer.i know this will mean new driveshafts.i have rounded up a 14bff and know were to get d60 so ill need new shafts anyway.i just dont want another busted tranny.i searched but nothin came up.i feel like i have the only blazer in south carolina so this is my source for info.no mechanic touches my truck .any help is appreciatted.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-21-2003, 08:48 AM

Re: divorced transfer case?

You can put a divorced case in a blazer, but depending on how much lift you have, you might not even be able to put shafts in it. Custom shafts are exspensive. Buddy of mine has a ramcharger that has a div. case, and it having problems with the driveshafts. With the case in middle, the rear becomes the problem. Too far to the front, and then the front becomes the problem. There ought to be some junkyards by you that have older trucks that will have a 350/205; it will be alot easier that way than trying to make a divorced work.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 12-22-2003, 11:20 AM
Can't Get Enough

do you still have the original transmission? if so then just have the tailshaft put in the new one, get the right tranny/t-case adapter for the tranny and case you have and put it back together.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 12-23-2003, 05:19 PM
big84k

the transmission casing itself is broke,the adapter isnt broke.the top to ears on the back are broke.the transfer case is broke to.i thought of rebuilding it.but dont know how long it could stand the lift and tires.would post pic but dont know how.is 35s too much for a 208.like i said ive got a 14bff ready gonna get a d60.i dont want a week transfer case but if an aluminum tcase broke the tranny what would a cast iron 1 do.thanks for the replies.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 12-23-2003, 07:29 PM
Addict

I ran 38's and then 42's on a burb with an r4 and a 208 smoked many a tranny but never broke the trans case or t-case..... beat the [bleep] out of it for years before switching to an sm465/np205 ...... never smoked another tranny since
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode