Trans temp sensor in pan ok? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Standard SFA Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized Solid Front Axle Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-17-2003, 11:14 PM
lebowski

Trans temp sensor in pan ok?

Is there any reason not to run a trans temp sensor in a TH400 pan? I have a AT drain plug and my temp sensor is the same thread, so I was thinking of installing it there. Will this location give a good indication of ATF operating temp?
TIA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-18-2003, 12:49 AM
4x4_Diesel

Re: Trans temp sensor in pan ok?

For the best (most acurate) reading for the trans put the sending unit on the return line for the cooler. On the turbo 400 it is the bottom line out of the return lines. You could put the sender on the pan but it wont give you as acurate of a reading as if it was in the line.
Brandon
post #3 of (permalink) Old 12-18-2003, 01:27 AM
Addict

I disagree if you want to know the temp at the pickup then the pan is the way to go ...... If you want to know the max temp the fluid reaches (far more important) then it should be on the line going from the trans to the cooler the return line is not a good indicator of max temp or inlet temp
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 12-18-2003, 02:16 PM
lebowski

Good point Gottagofast. I just read on a RV Towing Forum about a fellow who put three AT temp sensors onto his C6. He wanted to see the difference in temp between the pan, 'in' line and 'out' line readings. He said the pan sensor was never more than 10 degrees different than the 'out' line, and of course the 'into' the tranny line was always the coolest. He was of the opinion that ANY location was better than not having a tranny temp gauge, as they all gave ample warning that the fluid was getting too hot. Soooo.....the pan sensor is the most convenient for me so I'm going to do that. Thanks for the replies to both of you.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 12-19-2003, 06:42 PM
4x4_Diesel

Sorry guys... gottogofast you are right the sender should be on the line going from the trans to the cooler (thats the bottom line on the 400). dont know what i was thinkin sorry about that.
Brandon
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode