my first break - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Standard SFA Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized Solid Front Axle Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-06-2003, 11:51 PM Thread Starter
Carpal \'Tunnel

my first break

We had our poker run today. It was interesting in the snow to say the least. Not much snow, but enough to make offcambers interesting. I didn't take my full arsenal of tools and parts because this was supposed to be an "easy" run that stockers could make it through.

Somehow my team ended up consisting of me and two Jeeps. Again.

Kyle got hung up where I did but the five of us hi-lifted his Heep up and over the stump. It cost him some minor body damage.

I kept sliding downhill so we cut down one tree with my ax. The next tree I decided I'd still hit it so I got out my 4 ton come-along (power pulller) and used it as a pivot point uphill so I didn't have to cut another tree down. I told Westlake not to bother cutting the tree down since I was going to just use the come-along to hold me off the tree and drive away. He didn't listen, he thought he was being helpful. He got the tree 90% of the way cut down before I heard a familiar hiss. I knew what it was. I finished ratcheting down the come-along when he peered above my truck. Everyone knew what happened. Soliz had just said "now don't be hitting the sidewall with the ax" on the last tree.

The "situation" with the flattened tire and the tree cut down:

Mark calling up the South Range house telling them what happened and if they could run us out a 33" spare so I wouldn't have to run my 235. Everyone is laughing because he gets to tell the story to them. Westlake is kind of cursed, [bleep] always happens to him.

The slice is between the "E"s in STEEL:

Lifted the truck up with the hi-lift. My little spare is on the ground. You can now see the stump and how it has caved in the tire. I ended up having to completely deflate my spare and cave it in to get it on the truck. I got to test out my on board air.

I ended up winning "worst break" prize which consisted of $20 gift certificate to AutoValue, a free oil change, and a free car wash. I ended up running the rest of the day on somebody else's tire. I didn't have [bleep] for a poker hand.

When we got back we tried cutting another junk tire and rim with my ax and you have to try really hard to do it.

So, for the first time my truck "breaks" out in the woods and I don't even do it.

I'm now the tireless wonder.

PS: lockers hate it when you run a 33" rubber and a 235 rubber on the same axle on asphalt.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-08-2003, 11:17 PM

Re: my first break

Damn i bet that was a real joy to changed the tire. But hey now you have a new tire to pull people around on [img]images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
post #3 of (permalink) Old 12-09-2003, 12:10 AM

You think thats bad, try mounting a tire on a rim on the side of the freeway with two small flat head screwdrivers [img]images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]

Best Auto Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 12-09-2003, 11:11 AM Thread Starter
Carpal \'Tunnel

Yikes. I used to carry 10" tire irons (spoons as some people call them) with me but now I usually just carry my fullsize spare and plugs with me. I used to think I'd be willing to dismount a tire and patch it on the trail.

I wouldn't want to try to mount tires your size anyway because the sidewall has to be a bitch to deal with. Let alone without at least four long tire irons and some soapy water.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 12-09-2003, 11:34 AM

Jason, did you ever tell the story about ur new sig on here? I've heard bits and pieces, but what did happen to your front tire?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode