Help!!! What Year??? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Standard SFA Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized Solid Front Axle Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 11-05-2003, 11:55 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Help!!! What Year???

Hello all.

Looking to buy a Chevrolet Blazer but can't decide on a year. Looking between 1985 and 1994. Owned an 86 Chevrolet SB 4x4 and absolutely loved it. Beat it into the ground and it wanted more. Looking for the same reliability out of a Blazer. From what I have read the 93-94 Blazers aren't that great. What about the TBI 87-92 models?

Your input would be greatly appreciat
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 11-05-2003, 12:48 PM
427jimmy

Re: Help!!! What Year???

Well I own a 1990 gmc fullsize jimmy. In the 89,90,91 year they have the 30 spline 10 bolt axles (someone correct me if the years are wrong) which are a little stronger than previous years . It will have a np241 tcase which is nice and low geared in 4 lo. Most of the jimmies & blazers came with a 700r4 which is alright as long as you put a big honking cooler on it. I swapped mine out for the sm465, no overdrive but strong as hell. They came with them stock but are not as common as the autos (from what I've seen) The 90 clip in my opinion has a better headlight setup and the upgraded turn signal sockets (old ones were notorious for shorting out. The TBI engine have really strong torque numbers, runs smooth and efficient and I have found are way easier to work on than the old quadrajets. They come with an oil cooler and most of the TBI engines I have seen treated properly, run for about 300,000 + KMS. Starts in -28 no problem. Trucks in these years may have the RWAL system which is a rear anti-lock system, which hasn't caused me any grief, yet. The paint should be base coat/clear coat, and not the acrylic laquer sh#$ like the older ones. Inside its all pretty much the same, except the daytime running light option and the really big honking delco tapedeck and 4 speaker system. Try to avoid the power tailgate window. Its handy when it works but mine causes me so much grief I'm trying to track down a manual regulator for it. thats all I can think of right now, hope this helps
post #3 of (permalink) Old 11-05-2003, 12:57 PM
427jimmy

Well I own a 1990 gmc fullsize jimmy. In the 89,90,91 year they have the 30 spline 10 bolt axles (someone correct me if the years are wrong) which are a little stronger than previous years. After 91 its all the crappy IFS and in my opinion not as attractive body style (new style [img]images/graemlins/lame.jpg[/img]) It will have a np241 tcase which is nice and low geared in 4 lo. Most of the jimmies & blazers came with a 700r4 which is alright as long as you put a big honking cooler on it. I swapped mine out for the sm465, no overdrive but strong as hell. They came with them stock but are not as common as the autos (from what I've seen) The 90 clip in my opinion has a better headlight setup and the upgraded turn signal sockets (old ones were notorious for shorting out. The TBI engine have really strong torque numbers, runs smooth and efficient and I have found are way easier to work on than the old quadrajets. They come with an oil cooler and most of the TBI engines I have seen treated properly, run for about 300,000 + KMS. Starts in -28 no problem. Trucks in these years may have the RWAL system which is a rear anti-lock system, which hasn't caused me any grief, yet. The paint should be base coat/clear coat, and not the acrylic laquer sh#$ like the older ones. Inside its all pretty much the same, except the daytime running light option and the really big ass delco tapedeck and 4 speaker system. [img]images/graemlins/RockOn.gif[/img] Try to avoid the power tailgate window. Its handy when it works but mine causes me so much grief when its cold out [img]images/graemlins/cussing.gif[/img]. I'm trying to track down a manual regulator for it. thats all I can think of right now, hope this helps
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 11-05-2003, 02:31 PM
ratlover

IMO stay away from IFS if you want to lift it. Too damn expensive. After that its all about looks. Everything swaps pretty easy, if you want FI you can put a TBI on or into a older blazer. Stereo is easily fixable. The older blazers have removable tops. Every body has an opinion on what looks the best. Search the net for some pics of done up blazers.....you will find a certian year or range that you really like and just take your time and hunt for it. Once you have a certian year narrowed down let us know.....all of em have thier pluses and minuses and all ranges have their "problem" areas to look at when buying. I cant tell you what year looks the best to you. Older carbed versions can be plenty easy to work on and plenty reliable and make plenty of power.

What kinda wheeling you going to do? What are your level of skills and do you have the space to work on stuff? How much $$$ you got to spend?
post #5 of (permalink) Old 11-05-2003, 02:37 PM

92-94 is the newer body style (89-98 for trucks, 92-99 for tahoe/burb/blazer/yukon etc). This means that it has IFS, which can be good or bad, depending on your needs. SFA in teh 91 and prior models would be more desireable for off-road use. The motor with TBI is basically the same 89-94 i think, so that shouldn't be a factor. If you want to lift it cheap and wheel the hell out of it, get a 89-91. 89 didn't have any anti-lock, but 90-91 just had rear wheel. I've got a 94, and its a good truck, but definitely not a great off-road truck, and lifts for the IFS are a ALOT more than for SFA (probably 2-4x more depending on quality of lift).
post #6 of (permalink) Old 11-05-2003, 07:25 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Thanks everyone for the input.

Wheeling wise, I wouldn't say I'm the toughest on a vehicle, but I definitley run the hell out of it in the snow. Won't be rock climbing or doing anything too damaging.

Ultimately, I would like the truck to look like this

have no problem installing a lift, but don't want something that will need a buch of garage time, so IFS is out.

What kind of gas milage can be expected out of a carbureted blazer compared to a TBI?
post #7 of (permalink) Old 11-06-2003, 09:29 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

So, what about the gas mileage? TBI VS Carbureted?

Come on people, I know you're out there, have the knowledge, so what's the deal?
post #8 of (permalink) Old 11-06-2003, 10:37 PM
427jimmy

TBI TBI TBI, at least 4 mpg better. higher torque and HP specs that Carb stock, much more efficient. (computer contolled)
post #9 of (permalink) Old 11-12-2003, 11:16 PM
Apprentice

make sure you dont get a 305 unless you plan on changing it, biggest mistake gm made on fullsize trucks, in my opinion, guttless even in stock drivetrain form, [img]images/graemlins/AR15firing.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode