how many of you have 3/4 tons with 8 lugg dana 44s - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Standard SFA Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized Solid Front Axle Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 10-25-2003, 07:45 PM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

how many of you have 3/4 tons with 8 lugg dana 44s

just curious how common the chevy 8 lug dana 44 is. Im either swapn my 8 lug ford axle to 6 lug chevy parts or 8 lug chevy parts, havent made up my mind yet.

also does the ford hi pinion axle make it so finding and swapn 8 lug chevy stuff to it a pain, or what. a guy here says id be less money and time to just swap to chevy 6 lug and leave my 14semi floater in the back, problem is I want the full floater 14 for the rear. and its mine and payed for to.

what do you think. ohhhhhh if you for some reason dont know this is going under my 89 chevy, reg cab 1/2 ton or 3/4 ton whatever you want to call it
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 10-25-2003, 08:46 PM

Re: how many of you have 3/4 tons with 8 lugg dana 44s

8 lug 44 should be pretty common.. any 3/4T before ~78 should have it and possibly a few from 79 and 80 during the change over to the 10 bolt.

Shouldn't be a problem to find a d44 and 14bolt pair..Going rate would be about 500 bucks maybe??

8 lug outers should swap over just fine to the ford D44, but I believe the nuckles are a bit weaker on the ford...

My advice would be to forget about the ford d44 hi pinion, if your gonna go to all the work to get the ford under there you might as well go all the way and find a ford hi-pinion 60..

If I were you I'd be looking in 75-76 or so chevs to find a D44/14FF combo w/ 4.10's flattops on the D44 and an open carrier in the rear for the detroit.

Just MHO of course.

Finally ditchin the IFS eh.. been a long time coming hasn't it.

post #3 of (permalink) Old 10-25-2003, 09:15 PM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

Re: how many of you have 3/4 tons with 8 lugg dana

long loooooong time comeing, I resisted the urge to toss a ifs lift on the truck on quite a few acasions when I had the cash,

these are the parts I have right now, a 78 ford dana44 and 14ff rear from 93 suburban, along with the oru brackets. all these parts are sitn here and waitn to go under the truck,

yeah the rear will have a detroit and 410s the front will probly stay open for now incase I find a good deal on d60. I want to swap from ford parts to chevy parts. might find me 8 lug chevy dana 44 for parts, or swing a deal with the salvage yard to put the ford parts back on the chevy axle.

the only things I dont have right now are springs, steering, brake lines. wheels, and other misilanios stuff I cant think of right now

tommorrow I might work on getn the rear oru spring hangers on the truck, and route my exhaustr around them. then fronts can be slapped on when the swap is done, getn the rears on no will save me lots of time when I get to doing the rest of the stuff.

ohhhhhh I also need my rear shacle reversal from ord. and 1.5" or 2.5" adaleaf.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 10-25-2003, 09:49 PM

So what is your reasoning behind swapping from 8 lug ford to 8 lug chevy? Unless your swapping the knuckles for strength then I understand that...

As far as the swap, I know on the 78-79 ford dana 60's everything from the knuckle out is different than chevy. The knuckles, spindles, backing plates, hubs, brakes, stubs, everything.

If the 44's are the same your going to need to swap to chevy stub shafts as well or else the fords will be too short.

Best Auto Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote
post #5 of (permalink) Old 10-25-2003, 09:54 PM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

hmmmmm hadnt thought of that,

I want to run chevy brakes and all that junk. if I can do that and run the ford knuckles I would. but right now I dont know what I can and cant do. I have to replace one stubshaft anyways so i might just get new chevy inner axles if it comes to that. or find good ones in 8 lugg chevy 44. I just dont know. and Im not being to awfull enthuseastic about this right now
post #6 of (permalink) Old 10-25-2003, 10:02 PM

Why not just leave it all and save for a 60?

post #7 of (permalink) Old 10-25-2003, 10:14 PM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

Im not real fond of the ford dual piston calibers. but Im may just go the cheaper rout, I need atleast a stubshaft, and all seals and maybe bearings, plus the ring and pinion are pitted wich I might be able to live with but probly shouldnt, ball joints are good blah blah blah. I should take your advice and go with it the way it was from ford, other than refreshn it.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 10-25-2003, 10:45 PM

May I ask why you do not like the dual piston calipers?

post #9 of (permalink) Old 10-25-2003, 11:04 PM

You don't need to find an early D44. The 10 bolt 8 lug stuff will bolt right to the Ford D44. You would need to swap the knuckles though, cuz the spindle bolt pattern is different.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 10-26-2003, 09:17 PM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

because they dont work any better than sigles and have had some problems. other than that realy no reason, probly nothn Id ever notice anyways.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode