A river runs through it..... the Sub that is. - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Standard SFA Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized Solid Front Axle Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 10-21-2003, 10:40 PM Thread Starter

A river runs through it..... the Sub that is.

Ok, so I live on a farm and a river(The Nooksack) is the property line all down one side..

At about 8:30 or so lastnight I was driving in the field with my brother in our Suburban and I got stuck.. it was dark, the river was rising, already pushing the bank and flowing in at some places, and its not supposed to crest until about now I think... It just flooded Saturday morning worse than it has in 7 or 8 years.. anyway, so we trudge back a quarter mile through the mud and water to get the 4x4 John Deere only to find its not exactly available.. its in the barn, hooked to a hay wagon with 2 roundbails on it, and the only way to get it out would be to back it out, but behind it is a big mud pit, with a manure spreader sitting in it.. Plus we were worried about even using the tractor anyway with the rate the water was raising... .. so we grabbed a chain slopped back to the Suburban and tied it to a tree in the middle of some blackberry bushes about 40 feet away....... .. The water there never probably gets more than 3 feet high in a moderately bad flood.. probably, but I've never been out there to measure really..

Thisafternoon my brother and I tried to get a look at it.. Best view we could get once we got to the waters edge out in a field was about half a mile from it and a head on view of the front... Water was up to the front bumper, though its parked on a slight incline, plus we dug our rear down deep.... we dont have a front driveline so we were just 2 wheel drive.. We've decided to invest in one now though. [img]images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img] .. anyway, its too dark to see how high it is now. .. I figured I'd share my current happenings. I'll try to get pics once the water goes down. [img]images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Oh.. how bad is this gunna be for our running gear, sitting in silty riverwater for like 12+ hours? ... We have too many projects at the moment so doing a big teardown isnt really very doable... but then, I dont wanna just let it sit, as that I'm sure would be the debbil.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 10-21-2003, 10:51 PM

Re: A river runs through it..... the Sub that is.

Long time no see!

Anywho, shouldn't be much of a problem, even stock breathers run to the top of the frame usually at least. As long as your not running the axles full of goobers you should be able to just pull the covers and clean them out a bit and re-fill.

Best Auto Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote
post #3 of (permalink) Old 10-21-2003, 10:59 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Meh, sounds like somebody got the crop off and it was time to play in the field. Yeah, JP pretty much nailed it, when you get it out wash it off and look and see if all your vents were up high enough. The MOST important one will be on the tranny, assuming it's an Auto, DON'T START IT until you check that one.

Where the heck is the Nooksack river at, your Location says WA, and to be honest I'm not totally sure where Fernadale is to begin with...

One more thing...what model of JD is it?[img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 10-21-2003, 11:14 PM Thread Starter

Ya, I havent been around for a while Willys.. Been focusing all my automotive energy on my Mustang buildup.
[img]images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]

83GMC: Ferndale is a few miles north of Bellingham =)
.. and the JD is 2940 I think.. here's a pic.

A buddy made the brush guard and heavily re-enforced the bucket though its hard to really see that in the pic...... It's handy having that puppy around. [img]images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]

EDIT: Almost forgot.. thanks for the info on the breathers guys.. .. and how fast can water leak into the tranny?..

Thanks again. [img]images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
post #5 of (permalink) Old 10-22-2003, 12:20 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Looks like a good around-the-farm all-purpose tractor. I had to wonder why you didn't want to take it out.
My summer job consists mainly of this + Hesston 4790 Mid-size Baler:

Plus duals & a disk for Fall.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode