sm465 - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Standard SFA Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized Solid Front Axle Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 10-21-2003, 03:11 PM Thread Starter

sm465

i have a 84 chevy that was a desel, the trans in it is a big cast iron 4 speed manuel geared varey low shifter gos in threw the top not one of the ones with the shift rods on the sides

in the chilton i looked in the muncie 117mm looked just like it

from what iv read on hear it sounds a lot like the sm465 that iv seen a fwe pepole talk about, are thay the same?

and have a np 208 in my truck and a 205 in the grage eney ideas on whare to get a adapter p[late to go from my trans to the 205?

thanks evreyone
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 10-21-2003, 06:36 PM

Re: sm465

SM465 it is.. also known as the Muncie 117mm. Solid tranny. Don't worry about it.. Your 84 may also be the fine spline output version too.

If you have this fine spline 465 you will need to find a NP205 from a standard 1-ton as I believe that's the only place to find the right input gear. If I am wrong, one of the guru's will help ya out.

Ooop.If you have the 208 you will have the fine spline output. Need to find the right input gear and adapter for the tranny.

Other option is to swap an older style mainshaft (think they should swap) into your tranny, or run the old (coarse output) sm465 with the old 205 and save your self some bucks... Old 465/205 combo's are worth about 300 bucks max if they are in good shape..

How much power are you running through the combo. Double in the future??

post #3 of (permalink) Old 10-21-2003, 10:02 PM
87sm465np208

yea it is quite possibly a 32 spline sm465, damn good trans, it is in my everyday driver\weekend warrior and i couldnt ask for somthing better, granny gear for traffic, nice low reverse gear, and personally unless the 208 is broke in some way id keep it in there unless you really want to swap it out, because the 208 has a better low range and is easier to use in my own opinoin, anyway score on that, a deisel truck with a sm465, that thing could probly pull down a house [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 10-21-2003, 11:33 PM Thread Starter

thanks for your help gies im glad i know witch trans i have fershure now, and gona save my self some money on changing the transfer cace till i have a problem with it,

i relley like this trans. its the secont chevey iv had with one of them, its got some slop and ocashomaley falls out of therd but i read the postes about that so now i know my next project

the old man i bout my truck off of sead it was puting out about 400 horse, dident mentchon tork but thars a fair amount, im shure he was just estimating we dont have a dino hear but id like to check it out on one just out of qureositey, i boute it about 2 years ago with arownd 30k miels on the rebilt 454, its goy a mild crane cam, hie ignishon, keath black domed pistons, welend action+ intake edelbrok 750 carb with 2in. swerl tork ported spacer, k&n filter, headmen headers with charey bombs and 2 1/4in. pipe, and a few other things hear and thare

just ned thows new tiers to get hear the narow retreds dont look to heathey eneymore
[img]images/graemlins/scs.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode