question about chevy motors... (396-454's) - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Standard SFA Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized Solid Front Axle Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 10-20-2003, 10:59 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

question about chevy motors... (396-454\'s)

what is more common ?

Oval Port's or Rectangular Port's ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 10-20-2003, 11:20 PM

Re: question about chevy motors... (396-454\'s)

Oval Peanut Ports

Best Auto Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote
post #3 of (permalink) Old 10-21-2003, 09:30 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

thanks, I was just trying to get a price of part, I'm gonna be picking up a used one, so im gonna rebuild it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 10-21-2003, 06:50 PM

lol

EDIT: my bad, didn't see the second part of the guy's question [img]images/graemlins/thud.gif[/img]
post #5 of (permalink) Old 10-22-2003, 12:53 PM
ratlover

Jason wsnt making a joke about the penut ports.

There are 3 types of heads for a BBC Oval ports Rectangle ports and the small diameter oval ports found on truck motors called penut ports. There were more BBC's used in trucks than the muscle cars so they are the most common.

I've got a never fired BBC sitting in my garage if you are interested. It was built and is kinda waiting for my chevelle but I dont know when my chevell is going to see the light of day [img]images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] Too many projects not enough money [img]images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
post #6 of (permalink) Old 10-22-2003, 01:25 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

what is it ? 396 or 454 ? and how much are you asking for it ?
post #7 of (permalink) Old 10-22-2003, 01:55 PM
ratlover

454 40 OVER. Rebuilt never fired. I built it for my chevelle and then was going to stick it in my pick up so I sold the roller cam and lifters. Some were in the range of 2500 but its pretty complete with carb cam valves. All good stuff. Manely race flow valves arp main and head studs egal rods all balanced comp crane full roller rockers yada yada yada. If its in your price range we can talk about all the specifics and specs and work something out, other wise it will sit in my garage wrapped in plastic till I finish my chevell or hell freezes over [img]images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img].
post #8 of (permalink) Old 10-22-2003, 03:28 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

yeah that sounds about mid range from what i was looking at on the net, from 1500-5000. last question [img]images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] how much hp/torque ?
post #9 of (permalink) Old 10-22-2003, 03:45 PM
ratlover

I dont know??? She should be pretty stout/torquey. I could give you specs if you want.

You would have to run premium gas. Its got a fairly tight torquey cam with 10.25 compression. The cam was picked to work with taller gears and a stock converter. It is balanced with the flexplate(you running an auto?)

Needs heads and a distributor is about the only thing. I would highly recomend geting cast iron merlin oval ports for this motor.

Still interested?
post #10 of (permalink) Old 10-22-2003, 06:28 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

hmm... sounds nice, but i dont have much $ to spare, so i'll have to decline, it'll probably be happier in the chevelle anyway [img]images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode