broke my first u-joint - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Standard SFA Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized Solid Front Axle Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 10-14-2003, 10:24 PM Thread Starter
Can't Get Enough

broke my first u-joint

I destroyed my font u-joint the other night. Lost the slip for the drive shaft too. looked for a half hour and never found it. Damn sand. i found out the shaft was missing by getting stuck. Badly stuck. It took three hours to get me out. the assend dug a 4 foot hole in the sand. The top of the rear bumper was lower than the level of the ground before i started burrying my self. I owas only at 15 psi and those TSL's just dig forever. Oh well, going to have to upgrade to 1350's up front now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 10-14-2003, 10:28 PM

Re: broke my first u-joint

thats gotta suck man...what did it take to pull it out, How do you like the new relativly short wheelbase?
post #3 of (permalink) Old 10-14-2003, 10:33 PM Thread Starter
Can't Get Enough

the first truck to try got stuck as well. we cut him free and dug him out. then it took a lot of hi lift jack use, filling in under the tires and an F250 crewcab 4X with a 460 and NVG 4500 to get me out. i got stuck at 2 am and got out at 5 am. The new wheel base is nice. i can pull into parking spots with out a 3-5 point turn and it cuts tight turns easier. It still has the long wheelbase hop when trying to make it up a hill and stepping on it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 10-14-2003, 10:36 PM

You wanna know long wheel base, im practiceing for my CDL(commercial drivers license) today i was training in a 25 foot straight truck...my god it was long
post #5 of (permalink) Old 10-14-2003, 10:51 PM Thread Starter
Can't Get Enough

this is a picture of an old version of the wrecker i drive at work. it weighs over 40,000 lbs. i have towed another vehicle the same weight and length before with it. The front tires don't like to stay on the ground with any more than 30,000lbs behind it(the front of the towed truck is lifted off the ground by the boom and a tow bar keeps it from smacking into the rear end of the wrecker.

a couple weeks ago i liscenced myself on an M931 witch is a 5-ton chassis with a kingpin on the rear for towing semi trailers. i then took a one day crash course(didn't do too bad actually) on driving with a 43 foot trailer behind me with a full cargo container on it(the big ones that get loaded onto cargo ships). going to use all the towing experience i have and the othe driving experience to get my CDL before i getout. i get to skip the driving test and only take the writiten if i have certain vehicles on my military lisence(M931 is one of those vehicles).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode