more steering?'S and driveshaft ?'S thanks - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Standard SFA Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized Solid Front Axle Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 10-13-2003, 05:57 PM Thread Starter

more steering?\'S and driveshaft ?\'S thanks

as you all already know i have manual steering,..well its got to go,..does anyone know if i would run into any snags if i planed to go to the junk yard and rape ALL the power steering components from a truck of the same year that did have power steering and put them on mine? onto my next question,...my front drive shaft is all done and i wanted to replace it with a 3/4 ton drive shaft instead of another 1/2 ton one,...can i find a truck at the junk yard with same cab and grab that axle if its on a 3/4 ton truck? or will they be diffrent? and one last thing anyone know any fixes to a stiff gas pedal? mine feels like im pushing down a brick wall whild going down the road some times. thanks again

STuby [img]images/graemlins/givemebeer.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 10-15-2003, 09:39 AM

Re: more steering?\'S and driveshaft ?\'S thanks

whare do you live?, i have a front drive shaft froma a mid 80s truck that im pritey shure is a 3/4 ton it was a 2 wd that someone changed to 4wd it was from a np 205 to a dana 44 with 8 lug, i have a 10 bolt 8 lug front with a np 208 in a 3/4 ton and the drive shafts look the same, it dosent look dameged or bent at all but iv never used it so i cant say for shure, mabey it would work for you

and i have had some trucks with soft gas pedels that i stifened by changing the retern spring to a heveyer one, you could probley make yours sorter by just puting a lighter spring on, and making shure the cabel and linkage is all cleen and not bent or knked
post #3 of (permalink) Old 10-15-2003, 10:25 AM Thread Starter

thanks for the offer but a friend from work just gave me 3 front driveshafts and 2 rears good to have spares,... thanks for the spring idea too ill let ya know how it works later STuby [img]images/graemlins/givemebeer.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 10-15-2003, 10:57 AM
Carpal \'Tunnel

The power steering stuff will fit no problem. Just make sure you get all the accessory brackets.

3/4 ton shafts are the same as half ton ones. The only difference is the length with different transmission/transfer case problems. 700R4/NP208 is the longest and SM465/NP205 is the shortest.

Check the linkage at both the accelerator pedal and the throttle body. You can move them without moving the cable. Chances are it's the cable. See, with tension on them the cable falls into a groove in the casing. This causes a lot more friction than with no tension so if you try to check the cable by removing the load (the carburetor's throttle body) then it'll fool you into thinking you don't need a new throttle cable.

If you can, get a GM OEM throttle cable because they are far superior to auto parts store ones.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode