Some crappy pictures of crappy mud - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Standard SFA Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized Solid Front Axle Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 10-13-2003, 11:43 AM Thread Starter
Carpal \'Tunnel

Some crappy pictures of crappy mud

I've always gone with the "little truck" guys when we split up because of too many rigs. Technically, they split it at the 33" mark. I'm considered a "big truck" because of my lockers.

But anyway, our group consisted of: a stock Bronco on car 235s with a guy and three girls in it, a stock Sonoma on car 235s which previously scouted the trail last year, Tom in his spooled Heep on 35" ATs, and later Tad with his ARBed Heep on 38s with bad governor in his 700R4. Tad had to trailer his Jeep there so he was about an hour late.

It was pretty boring except for the fact we spent a lot of time dragging the dumbass car-tired rigs around. Neither of them understood my "use the brake pedal to to keep tires from spinning" habit from my open-differential days.

We spent half an hour cutting a log of about 12" diameter because the Sonoma couldn't get around or over it. It's a good thing I came prepared (the only one) with an ax.

He got stuck again just past that spot so I drove around him and dragged him through the muck. I almost got stuck but I went in reverse and headed forward again so my differential didn't hit the stump that time. It's some pretty gooey stuff. There's quite a few pictures of the slime. There are some with Tad and Tom playing it. Thankfully, the Sonoma did have a strap.

We later spent some time digging out the Bronco and it's a good thing I came prepared with a shovel (again, the only one). I only had to yank the Bronco that one time.

Later, being the only long vehicle at 131" from hub to hub I did need some help with the guys pushing my truck sideways to keep my fender off a tree. I was so bored and wanted to go home I decided to take an alternate path to keep from going insane and it was a wee bit too tight. Could've made it if I didn't have lockers binding me up.

The whole event was boring as hell. It was a waste of a day as far as I'm concerned.

The part that pushed it over the edge was when the kid with the Sonoma got in a vulgar argument with Tad (the green Jeep) who is our President about something stupid. It would've been alright except for the fact that something that was just as stupid he was alright with. I won't be going out with him anymore until he cleans up his act, gets some tires with tread, and learns how to wheel like something other than a freshmen.

http://www.wrath.com/projects/vehicl.../slideshow.htm
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 10-13-2003, 12:16 PM
ratlover

Re: Some crappy pictures of crappy mud

I learned long ago.....its not best to be "the big dog" (only fullsize and the only 4x4 besides a jeep on 31's). Really sucks having to drag stupid people all over the place. And if you get stuck you are really SOL.

At least it sounds as if you did have some 1/2 way inteligent people with ya.

It does make it worth while though when you get some stupid ass being a dick as his ranger is axel deep in mud.....ever notice how worked up they get when you just start leaving [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] we oly let him think he was screwed though.....we did yank him out after we let his heart get going for a few. Wasnt as much of a PITA after that [img]images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]
post #3 of (permalink) Old 10-13-2003, 01:16 PM Thread Starter
Carpal \'Tunnel

See, the thing of it is that I'm not really a "big truck". The other group had 7-8 trucks in it all with tires from 35-42" tall.

I don't like to go with the "big trucks" because none of them care what their sheetmetal looks like at the end of the day. The puddlejumpers might not care either but chances are I can get through it without carnage. With liberal application of common sense you can avoid most carnage unless there is some physical limitation (trees too close together or rockers too close to the ground) that you can't get around.

I know what you mean about the Heep thing. I've quit going with Jeeps unless at least one of them has a 9k or better winch. If you tie two Heeps together they can winch a fullsize out. If they try to snatch you out all that happpens is they get pulled backwards when the strap rebounds. I have yet to not be able to yank a Heep out with a static pull. I also don't like to go with Jeeps unless there is an XJ or two because if there isn't they forget that you can't turn as sharp.

Most of the people in the club that I talk to are intelligent people. That's like a dozen out of 85. I'm sure there's more but they probably are just as intimidated by the stupidity that runs amok as I am. There's quite a few club members that have way too much money on their hands and even more that are a bit too nuts for my liking.

We have a "never leave anyone alone in the woods" policy. However, our VP did just that not too long ago. A bunch of people left this kid in a Heep stuck out in the trail after dark. Some South Range guys heard "winch... stuck... Boyscout trail" and went out in Mentch's Burblazer and got them out. That's a bunch of BS. I bet that kid in the Jeep never goes out with the club again.

I know what you mean about going out with *******s though. Two weekends ago we had a guy with more money than brains break his front driveshaft and lose a bead while caving in his cab and bending a 2x4" .120" front bumper on the first obstacle two stock XJs and a stock Ranger went over with ease. Luckily, I was behind him. I was the only one with onboard air and I kept trying to tell the run leader and a couple other guys but they were all caught up in the spectacular carnage. I grabbed my girlfriend and we left to go drive around in the woods by ourselves. We came back two hours later and they were just getting a spare tire for his rig. We went home.

This past summer I was out in the woods doing some scouting by myself when I run across a bunch of guys in Toyotas and other small vehicles. I ran across them a bunch more times that day and one of the times they ask me to go yank out one of the puddlejumpers on 31" ATs. So I do with my open-differentialed truck. Since they had a fullsize truck with them they thought it gave them the privilege of being stupid and always being able to get out with a real truck on the other end of a snatch strap. After the second time of yanking the same truck (I think I yanked two or three other trucks) I told him I wasn't going to yank him anymore and next time if he wants me to yank him he needs to roll it over on the roof so I can just drag it out of the woods. I ended up yanking another guy later that day but I gave him pity because he blew a birfield.

After all the stupid [bleep] I run across it's no wonder we offroaders have a bad reputation. I mean, I do stuff you're not supposed to (like play in moving water) but nothing like what some of these guys do...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 10-13-2003, 03:51 PM

i know what you mean sometimes i like to go out in my jeep its got 32 inch swampers and its small but i love going out wheeling in the pickup now and it just dosent fit anywhere cool like the jeep sometimes the dents and scrapes are necessary tp fit round here at least!! looks like a few nice shots . How much did the locker help you in the mud? is it a noticeable diffrence all the time or in mud or on rocks? thanks STuby [img]images/graemlins/givemebeer.gif[/img]
post #5 of (permalink) Old 10-13-2003, 05:09 PM Thread Starter
Carpal \'Tunnel

Tires are the limiting factor for most rigs from what I've seen. It's all about the tires. Second is the driver. You've got good tires so I can't see why you'd have any problem. The nice thing about Heeps is you can usually take obscure lines that'll let you go around things that require big tires or wheelbase.

The lockers are a definite improvement. None of my tires spin independently anymore. Turning diameter increase by 11' on gravel though.

I can hit a log with both tires at the same time and crawl over them. With an open differential I had to hit it one tire right after the other and hit it with a bit of momentum. In my pictures you can see that I easily climbed up on a square log as high as my bumper while on sand.

The water I've gone through with silty bottom has been a lot easier with the lockers. A while back I went through some water a wee bit too deep and without the lockers I'd probably not made it.

I haven't had much of a chance to play in mud. That stuff I was in this past weekend was about the most mud I've seen. It's pretty gooey junk that won't come out of your tread unless you really sling it. It's only about a foot deep though so if you dig down you eventually hit bottom. I was the only one to ever find bottom since everyone else either flew through it or in the case of the Jeeps floated on it. The yellow Heep tried in 2wd but even with the spool he had to throw it back in 4wd and then back up to get going again. Since I was now taking up the rear of the group because Tad showed up I went back and forth through it several times. I probably would've had to finesse it a few times if I still had open differentials but with the lockers I could park and take off again. Once when going in reverse my rear differential got caught on a mound and stopped motion but I went forward and then in reverse again and drove right over it.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 10-13-2003, 07:04 PM
Resurrection_Joe

You need to find a better group to wheel with man

Trail looks pretty mild, but I'm sure I could get my K5 stuck on it

I would kill for tress like that, that place probably has more trees than my whole county

Anyway...
post #7 of (permalink) Old 10-13-2003, 09:19 PM Thread Starter
Carpal \'Tunnel

It was pretty mild. In fact, it was boring as hell. The only tough part was the hill climb and that picture doesn't do it any justice. It made the old quadrajet even squirm. There's a spot out of range that I stopped on and teeter-tottered on with two tires off the ground. That, by far, was the most exciting part of the day for me as a driver.

See, I'm stuck between a rock and a hard place. I either go out with the retards/guys with bald tires or I go out with the guys that don't care if they get a dent or ten.

The whole argument between Tad and Chris was retarded. For the most part Chris was in the right but when he started swearing and getting furious (definitely not needed). I kind of like Tad and it might not have been one of his better moments but that Chris kid made a really ****ty first impression.

There are other kids I can go out with but they aren't interested because I'm a fullsize owner and I don't particularly like the little trucks (Samurais, Trackers, IFS/SFA yotas). Plus, I told one of them that what Chris was doing wasn't cool even if he was right so I'm certain I won't be invited anyway.

I mean, that kid I was talking to knows I'm not keen on the little trucks because they're useless if I get stuck and they don't have a winch. He thought it was perfectly fine for Chris to be out there with his bald 235s on a 3200lb Sonoma. I don't know, when I go wheelin' my goal is to see how often I can avoid being stuck rather than know I'm going to have to be dragged through by someone.

Who knows. There isn't much left of this wheeling season. Next spring I'll probably purchase a winch. I won't have to go out with the club anymore and I can take just one or two other trucks or even go by myself.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 10-13-2003, 10:19 PM
Resurrection_Joe

Tad, what kind of pussy name is Tad? [bleep] Tad and everyone who looks like Tad!

Hahahahahaha

Go by yourself, ro make one or two good friends who fit your wheeling style. Personally, no truck in my town can support my truck off road, either by not being big enough to yank it, or not being capable enough to follow it. I suppose I can let a friend drive the K5, but as I have about 2 friends.... [img]images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

I dunno, no offense, but most of the people there dont look like dedicated wheelrs, stock low and bald do not a wheeler make. I mean, Beaterchevy had a stock LWB with small mudders and has outwheeled me, but, you know.

I'd try and get over my aversion to any kind of rig, and just judge it by its owner. I know a Zuks not moving you on a downhill paved road even, but at least you have soemone who kens your thinking.

As for winches, Imma get that 12k milemarker, $600 you CANT BEAT. Good HP motor, and thick cable
post #9 of (permalink) Old 10-13-2003, 10:46 PM Thread Starter
Carpal \'Tunnel

Haha. Picking on Thaddeus. I kind of like Tad. He will do everything he can to help you, he won't ridicule you for your rig, and he won't leave you out in the woods. I mean, he'll pick on his friends once in a while, especially about air pressure. "How many pounds of air you got in them tires Don?" "Too much, Tad." "How much too much, Don." "Oh, about 35lbs in there right now, Tad." "Look at Brian over there in his fullsize pickup and he's running less than thirty pounds compared to your 2700lb Jeep on TSLs."

The kind of guys I like to go out with are Mentch (Burboy on CK5), Marc (GMC_Legacy on CK5), and Dean. This is Dean:
http://www.wrath.com/projects/vehicl...3/09060003.JPG

They all own rigs that aren't their daily drivers. They don't drive stupid and are sane. Cool people, I just can't compete.

It's really hard to have fun if you have to worry about getting stuck and them not being able to get you out. A 2800lb Jeep or a 2200lb Samurai or a 2700lb Toyota aren't going to do jack against my 4400lb truck. It's hard to have fun with these people because they don't come with spare parts or anything.

I mean, I go out with some guys that are keen to what I like but they're Ford owners. haha. I go out with them scouting quite a bit.

I don't know. It's time for a winch. I have my eyes on the MileMarker as well. $600 with a warranty from 4WPW is a steal. Mentch has one on his 1 ton Suburban and it moved it just fine.
http://www.wrath.com/projects/vehicl...3/09060036.JPG
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode