shackle flip - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Standard SFA Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized Solid Front Axle Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 10-11-2003, 02:18 AM
nicotine

shackle flip

Offroad design has those shackle flip kits for the rear and i was wondering the pro's and con's of that kit compared to a 4inch kit with blocks? [img]images/graemlins/AR15firing.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 10-11-2003, 07:06 AM
Carpal \'Tunnel

Re: shackle flip

Blocks promote axle wrap. I have wicked wheelhop with my shackle flip and I suspect I'd break something if I had used my blocks.

The problems with the ORD or Echobit shackle flips are cost. The Echobit ones are less expensive though.

I prefer my own shackle flip though:
post #3 of (permalink) Old 11-24-2003, 01:53 AM
SHOTGUN

wrath is that the front rear-spring hanger I've heard of people taking out of 1/2 tons to use? [img]images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 11-24-2003, 09:42 PM
Carpal \'Tunnel

The front hanger on a half ton truck is considerably taller than any other front hanger found on K5s, 3/4 tons, or 1 tons. With a shackle flip the spring eyes are nearly level.

Heavy 3/4 ton or 1 ton hangers are about the right height to do a shackle flip in the back. I used the hangers out of my 77C20 which had 9 leaves in the pack.

I can get you pictures when I go home next weekend. I'm at my parents' right now and 28.8 dialup on a P200 using Win98 blows donkeys.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 11-28-2003, 05:13 PM
Can't Get Enough

I don't know about that one. That homemade concoction looks kind of precarious. Have you had any problems with it?
post #6 of (permalink) Old 11-28-2003, 07:14 PM
SHOTGUN

all it is is a front spring hanger used on the rear.

Use grade 8 hardware and no worries just happy wheeling! [img]images/graemlins/burnout.gif[/img] [img]images/graemlins/scs.gif[/img]
post #7 of (permalink) Old 11-28-2003, 08:22 PM
Carpal \'Tunnel

It's a 1 ton 3/4 ton heavy duty front hanger used in the rear. The only shortcomings are the fact that it isn't tall enough to reach the top of the frame rail. It's just as strong as a stock hanger and several times stronger than a gusseted stock hanger with the bottom cut out.

Since I left the stock backing piece that hooks to the bottom of the frame I used it to line them up perfectly unlike ORD or Echobit ones.

It's also now bolted to my Reese hitch so it moves even less. I still wish I could've found a standard 3/4 ton or K5 front spring hanger and used it instead (halfway between what I used and a 1/2 ton pickup front hanger) so I had it going all the way to the top of the frame.

The funny part is that I "temporarily" held it together with 3/8" grade 2 hardware and it's still there 4 months later.

Here are some more pictures of some other people's rigs' hangers:
http://www.wrath.com/4x4/rearhangers/
post #8 of (permalink) Old 11-29-2003, 07:52 AM
Can't Get Enough

That's cool then. It just looks like it would be better if they extended to the top of the frame.
I've been doing some research on doing a flip myself, and will check around the junkyards for parts too.

Thanks.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 12-22-2003, 01:32 PM
DougK20

I installed ORD shackle flip last night. The install went very very smooth. It took two hours from start to finish. That includes removing the 4" blocks and two leaves from the pack. I used a torch and air hammer to remove the old hangers. I have since driven it 100 miles and have really enjoyed the new ride. It is much smoother and way more flexible. Of course, removing two leaves from the 3/4 ton pack helped alot also. The pinion angle turned out perfect. I am currently changing the shock mounts for an inboard /\ setup. Should finish that today. Below are some pics of the shackle flip install.

Flex before flip. If the rear tire was on the ground, it would be more obvious how bad it really was.

Here is a pic half-way through. The blocks are gone and 2 leaves have been pulled from the right pack. After this came the torch.

Here is a pic of the droop and compression after install. Shocks are not installed yet. Testing springs only. Major inprovement overall. Can't wait to hit the trail!

post #10 of (permalink) Old 12-27-2003, 10:44 AM
DougK20

Bump [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode