Truck Update.......... - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Standard SFA Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized Solid Front Axle Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-30-2003, 01:40 PM Thread Starter

Truck Update..........

Hello all, i haven't posted here in awhile, but I have been busy working on my truck.

I got tired of running the TH350, got a rebuilt one cheap two years ago that had super soft shifts and non-existant kickdowns, so i upgraded to a 4-speed. Earlier in the summer I picked up a SM465 and NP205 off of a buddy and totally rebuild both of them. My grandfather was junking his '81 C10 with a a 250 straight-six and SM465, so I grabbed that from him for an extra tranny and all the parts to make the swap.

Took me about two months to do the rebuilds. Actual rebuild time for each was probably only 6 hours each but working in the evenings and waiting for parts and things always drags things out. I have some pics of the rebuilds, but not of every step because I don't have a digital camera and my friend was taking the pics using his. I got the total rebuild kit for the tranny from Novak Conversions and pieced my own t-case rebuild kit together. I have lots of tech info on the both rebuilds and web links to pages that have the factory rebuild manuals online.

The swap from a TH350 w/ a NP205 to a SM465 w/ NP205 is not too difficult because the crossmember is located at the same place on the frame and the driveshaft lengths are exactly the same. To anyone that has considered this swap and has second thoughts due to possible compliations i recommend to go for it. The swap was straight forward and almost a direct bolt up. Just posting up to let anyone with questions about the swap or rebuilds that i have done them and willing to answer any questions.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode