1983 gmc high sierra??????? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Standard SFA Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized Solid Front Axle Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-22-2003, 06:59 PM
rustyolred27

1983 gmc high sierra???????

let me start this off by saying i am new to the realm of the general. i have been a ford fan all of my life. i started looking for a truck to build into a decent mud runner/daily driver. i have came across a 1983 gmc high sierra 1500 4x4. the truck has a 250 inline six. is this engine as good as my 300 straight six ford engine? it has a 4 spd manual trand with grany low? which trand is this? what x-fer case should this truck have? what front and rear axles should this truck have? i really like this truck and am looking forward to this purchase. oh yeah btw what does high sierra mean? is it like a trim package or something?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-22-2003, 07:59 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: 1983 gmc high sierra???????

Not a clue on the 250-I6. It's a Saginaw/Muncie model SM-465 transmission. A New Process Gear Model NP208 Transfer Case. Two GM Corporate 10 Bolt Axles (front and rear). Pretty much all of that is swappable so it may not have that, but that is the stock configuaration. Oh, and yes High Sierra is a trim package.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-22-2003, 08:04 PM
Carpal \'Tunnel

Unless you're getting a real deal on it (like $700 or less with a great body) don't buy it. That motor is one of GM's worst inline 6s. You'd end up swapping it right away unless you're used to driving underpowered vehicles.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-22-2003, 08:07 PM
87sm465np208

damn, a 250 inline 6 with a sm465, and 4 WHEEL DRIVE, id buy it in a second. because it will run forever, and is easy to work on
post #5 of (permalink) Old 09-22-2003, 10:11 PM

I am with wrath on this one. forget about mud. If you put larger tires on it wont have power to get out of its own way. If you do want to start with a half ton look for one with a 350 in it then you have some thing to start with.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 09-23-2003, 09:05 AM

I gotta speak up in defense of the 250 6 it isn't very powerful but it is great to work (you won't need to much) if taken care of they will keep you going for a long time. I got a great deal on mine and figured when the engine went I could swap it out well that was 12 yrs ago and it is still going good only burns a little oil and about 23 mpg which is better then most compact trucks. they can also be tuned to respectable hp levels. if the rest of the truck is good it is a good deal. another benifit is the truck probably hasn't been beat too hard becouse if that was the intention the engine would probably get swaped out. as a daily driver the truck should be great if you are thinking serious off roading the truck still may be a good deal but some work will have to be done.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode