First time wheelin' with lockers (dialup beware) - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Standard SFA Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized Solid Front Axle Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-21-2003, 06:48 PM Thread Starter
Carpal \'Tunnel

First time wheelin\' with lockers (dialup beware)

I'm sold on my lockers. I can hit a log with both tires at the same time and just crawl over them. You get used to the increased steering effort after a while.

The pictures:
http://www.wrath.com/projects/vehicl...kcreek-092103/

My parents are visiting so I took them out in the woods. This area was a lot deeper than normal but I didn't know it was almost 4' deep. It just didn't click in my head until it was too late. First time EVER I didn't scout ahead. Usually it's 9-10" deep. As my front tires were hitting the water I realized just how deep the water was but it was too late.

I continue going and the "OH [bleep]" factor hit me and I had a wave about 3' in front of the grill that was even with my hood. I know the entire area pretty well (been walking around in the water) and the truck was floating in the wrong direction (towards a hole about 6" deeper) so I cut to the right for the bank for some traction. Truck takes on water and my feet are getting wet. I have both my parents in my truck with me and they're getting wet. They're scared ****less and I'm worried about the same thing: we're 15 miles from civlization. I drove over a stump and ran into at least two floating logs. One log dented my right front fender and broke my headlight door.

There is NO way I'd made it with open differentials.

We get back on dry land, much to my Dad's surprise. We let the truck idle and dry out. We look in the bed and the bed of the truck got wet. I walk around and pop the hood (never had a chance to turn off the elctric fans) and was surprised that it was clean under there. Then I look in the grill and it's full of weeds past the GMC emblem. On the side of the truck there is a water line about 2" below the bodyline.

Since we weren't going back out that way we decided to take a trail that Josh and I had navigated about 3 months earlier. It was real tight. There was an offcamber that I'd gone down before but not up. I drove up the Jeepflopper without spinning a single tire.

There was some more tight spots along the way (including a couple deep scratch creators) but nothing too impressive.

Here is where I drove across. On the opposite side near the trees you can see my tire tracks going in. In the foreground you can see my tires coming out. The log over there on the left is what I drove over and the one to the right is the one that I think killed my grill.

After I parked and scouted around for a while:

The offcamber isn't portrayed in this picture very well. The high tire is half way up your thigh. None of that is a big deal except there is a spot where there is a tree root that lifts your tire up another 6-8". And it's all uphill and wet sand.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-21-2003, 07:06 PM

Re: First time wheelin\' with lockers (dialup beware)

<font face="Comic Sans MS"></font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
They put the berms up to stop the trucks and ATVs.

[/ QUOTE ]

Who are "they"? Would "they" refer to the DNR, a property owner, or what? I sure hope none of those is the case...</font>
post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-21-2003, 07:32 PM Thread Starter
Carpal \'Tunnel

Long time, no see, Tim. Hey, what's the best time to make an appearance? Tim Time. Well, at least you're still moderating even if you don't contribute to the GM forums anymore.

I can't remember the last time I ran my truck on State or Federal land. In fact, I don't think I've ever had this truck on either. I'll have to look in my Plat book for sure though.

The land is owned by International Paper. Under Michigan law they allow people access to their land so they get a tax break. Motorized access isn't included though. They don't have to let people use it but they aren't going to stop people either. The only time they have a problem with people using their land is:
1. Tear up their roads. The guy that runs the operation is allowed 1 million dollars each year to harvest his 600 square mile area or whatever it is he runs now.
2. People hold a competition on it such as the Lake Superior Pro Rally and don't give them money (which LSPR likes to do and all they do is buy insurance but never gives IP any money).
3. People doing something that can come back to haunt them legally.
4. Dumping.
5. Disturbing high-silt areas around moving water.

Our club has an agreement with IP. We stay off their logging roads which have been used in the last two years and we clean up what other people dump. If we must cross their logging roads we don't displace dirt.

The berms are used to keep people out of their logging operation. IP does none of their own logging, it's all contract. They want to keep people out for a whole slew of reasons:
1. Keep people from playing in a construction area.
2. Keep people from stealing their product while harvesting.
3. Keep people from stealing equipment.
4. Insurance, mon.
et cetera

Why is this a problem? Yoopers like to steal stuff if they think they can get away with it. Rogue loggers will steal other people's product. Drunk *******s think it's funny to operate ATVs around a bunch of logging equipment without brainbuckets on. Speed is doubled if they are actively logging in the area.

Once the loggers leave they knock the berms down. If there is a gate then it is permanent. They tend to only gate bridges they build.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-22-2003, 03:30 PM
Resurrection_Joe

Gah, I'm totally off of water ever since a few mildly interesting off roading trips, I don't knoe how you can stand driving through standing water

Nice truck, and looks like nice trails

Glad you like the lockers, i hope the ones that come in my one tons are as helpful to me as they were to you
post #5 of (permalink) Old 09-22-2003, 07:53 PM Thread Starter
Carpal \'Tunnel

From now on, even if I was just down it a few days ago, I'm scouting ahead before I drive through something. I'd been through that water so many times before that it never even clicked in my mind that it could change so much. I mean, it looked about two and a half feet deep. I'm not saying there was no change. However, here's my truck parked a relatively deep spot a month and a half ago:

Well, I don't mind running water as deep as my tires are tall. I'll run it up to the crank pulley without complaint. It's when the crank pulley gets in the water and starts slinging mud and water that I complain.

I don't start whining until it's up to the water pump. I really don't like going that deep. I've never waterproofed my distributor so I'm fscked if water gets up that high. I figure why bother when I have it pretty well shielded and everything has dielectric grease on it. Once my distributor is in the water so is my air intake.

All my vents are up high, the lowest one is the one for the rear axle which is just above the fuel filler. I've learned as long as you don't park things don't get wet except the outside of the truck because you can use the wave to create a depression. I mean, I had a water line up to my door locks and the wave was about even with my door handle. If you can keep your speed up the water will carry you through pretty good.

The trails around here are plentiful. I don't like going down them by myself though and I hate taking Jeeps because they can't get me out. So I go down the girly ones like this one. It has a lot of tight technical stuff that made my Dad cringe. It's hard to find someone to go down them with me because everyone adores mud or they're worried about their paint.

I can now see why people always tell people to buy a locker or two. I mean, hell, even with just a rear locker I'd be able to go through so much more than with open differentials. I mean, I understand why people were always impressed with how my truck could go through stuff so well with open differentials (used to cheat and use the brakes to control wheelspin). I can just crawl through stuff now and momentum isn't as big of a deal as it used to be. I still think good tires are more important than lockers though.

So when do I get to see pictures of the Rezzybed submersed in water? haha.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 09-22-2003, 08:08 PM
Resurrection_Joe

Eh, whenever I hit water deep enough to complain about, I panic and splash everywhere and kill the truck, or sit there and dig myself to the ground.....

I susppose you idle right through it eh? [img]images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

My vent lines are relatively high at the top of the frame, but I want to extend them all to a point in my engine compartment

I'm in the process of a one ton swap and narrowing my flatbed to 4'

My tranny is bleeding, looks like from the pan, we'll see [img]images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

Anywho, looks like you put together a nice cheap wheeling truck that's doing a lot of incredible things

Oh and as for pics of water stuckages, this is all I got

post #7 of (permalink) Old 09-22-2003, 09:58 PM

yeah lockers rule!!!!! [img]images/graemlins/beach.gif[/img]
It is a whole new game. but soon you will start breaking more now that you have more traction..thats what I did.
I locked up my front 60 and broke the short side shaft in 5 min. [img]images/graemlins/cussing.gif[/img]
Res. glaD to see you making the big step to one ton [img]images/graemlins/RockOn.gif[/img]
post #8 of (permalink) Old 09-22-2003, 10:30 PM
Resurrection_Joe

Yeah, I'm pretty damn happy about it. I managed to buy most of a parted out one ton K5. 4.88, LS Front, Detroit Rear, crossover, whee hah! New 6" Flexy lift too!

I suspect with a weeny 355ci with a TH400 sucking the power from it won't do much to break one ton axles running what amount to basically 37" TSL's

I REALLY want to get some of those 39.5 x 13 x 16 IROKs, but I bet they last a year with the tread design

SO what were you doing when you broke the stub? I broke a stub on a open D44 [img]images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img] Are you up to 35 spline yet? Slugs or hubs?
post #9 of (permalink) Old 09-23-2003, 08:40 PM Thread Starter
Carpal \'Tunnel

Oh, you're one of THOSE types are you RJ? The ones that see water and either hit it with too much speed (in excess of 5mph) or nail it in the water?

The key to water I've found is to keep speed and throttle position (have to avoid blipping the throttle at all costs) constant while letting the truck "feel" around in the water. I've found that 2-4mph seems to work best and it'll carry you through tough spots where you lose traction. If you get closer to the 4mph arena you can better use the wave to keep your engine dry but if you lose momentum (like run into a log that stops you) the water will stack up and flood the truck. I've seen this happen TONS of times. It usually swamps the rig and if the ignition doesn't cut out it hydrolocks and splat.

My front axle vent tube goes up to the top of my core support on the driver's side and tucks into the corner. My transmission and transfer case run up to the driver's side hood hinge. The rear axle is just above the fuel filler.

That's water, eh?
http://www.wrath.com/projects/vehicl...ideview-sm.jpg

I've got just over six grand tied up in my truck including the purchase price of $1900. Most of the money is tied up in the two motors and all the sheetmetal. I've also got almost a grand tied up in axle parts between the $175 for the axles, all the bearings/seals/universals, and the LockRights. Of course, I have two nearly completely rebuilt axles out of that deal just sitting there. Well, except the rear one doesn't have disc like this one does.

I've been kind of waiting for you to switch from the flatbed to a module-type bed where you can attach different boxes for different things. Like have multiple boxes in different configurations that you fasten on. For example, the no bed is bitchin' for the trail and you could put just a trailbox on it. For camping you could put a full box on it. et cetera.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 09-23-2003, 09:10 PM

It wasn't the stub that broke it was the short side iner shaft. I was playing in the mud got a little air then went to pull some one out and snap...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode