LockRights installed - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Standard SFA Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized Solid Front Axle Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-20-2003, 05:02 PM Thread Starter
Carpal \'Tunnel

LockRights installed

I thought it was a funny subject for this post. See, the keys were in the truck and I installed the lockers. Not even a little bit of a chuckle, eh?

I put both my LockRights in today. It took about three hours to do the front. There is barely (I mean like 1/8") not enough room to get the old spiders out without pulling a shaft. So, I yanked the driver side shaft per instructions.

The rear took about an hour and a half. It's a lot more difficult to assemble when you have to play with c-clips. I did have a brilliant idea of dropping the c-clip in using gravity. The next biggest problem was getting the little spacers that cover the c-clips all the way in. You have to pull the passenger side shaft. The rear end would take about an hour except I have rear discs and I have to pull a tire and caliper off to get the shaft to slide out.

For my testing I went to Boston Pond. Which is now nothing but hardpack and sharp rocks the size of softballs.

As for driveability, I don't even know I've got the rear one in there on dry asphalt. If you persuade it to lock up you can get the tires to chirp like a spool. It's bitchin' not to get stuck in my back yard (steep hill) because the tires will lock up. Can't powerbrake 'er anymore.

As far as 4x4 driveability, having the front locked kind of blows. It's really hard to get it to unlock because in 4wd you have to have your foot on the accelerator in order to not slow down. Turning effort is about 10x harder. I noticed turning the steering wheel 3/8 of a turn in either direction has little or no effect on where the truck goes, you just get a lot of the steering wheel bouncing back.

Anyway, having the back end locked is worth every penny and then some. Only time will tell if I like the front end locked.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-20-2003, 11:47 PM

Re: LockRights installed

So they are easy to install? I forgot, is a lock right a limited slip? Or is it a full on locker? I dream of a locker nightly and want something that will fully lock but still have some driveability. So is it kind of like a Detroit? I just think that anything is better than the gov lock in my 10 bolt.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-21-2003, 12:54 AM

It is 100% positive locking. It "ratchets" around corners, and disengages.
It is not like a Detroit.
Detroits replace the whole carrier.
Detroit EZ-Lockers are just like Lockrights, and do not replace the carrier.
Heres mine.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1190607-IMGP0819.JPG (78.9 KB, 9 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-21-2003, 09:16 AM Thread Starter
Carpal \'Tunnel

Yeah, it's a piece of cake. All you have to do is make sure your old pin and the thrust washers behind the side gears aren't worn. Then when you get it installed you have to measure the gap between the two halves (I used flat feeler gauges and then a micrometer to measure them). If it's within the limits then you're good to go. If it's too narrow you need thinner thrust washers and if it's too wide you need thicker thrust washers.

It's an actual locker. The rear one easily unlocks when turning but if you powerbrake it you'll dig two holes. If you put one tire on asphalt and one on the dirt the one on the dirt never spins. If you turn on gravel without forcing it to lock it doesn't spin the inside tire and looks like you've got an open differential. I have yet to hear it make the ratcheting sound.

The front one never seems to unlock though. I'm going to go play in the woods today and I'll see if it does.

It works just like a Detroit. The outside tire will overdrive the inside tire. IE: when unlocked, your inside tire is propeling you. A gov-lock is supposed to allow the outside tire to do the propeling. This makes it a lot easier to turn the vehicle.

EDIT:
Don't buy a EZ-Locker. They break if you breathe on them wrong. I've seen 3 or 4 break and I've yet to see a LockRight break. I have seen them wear out though...
post #5 of (permalink) Old 09-21-2003, 09:14 PM
Keyboard Implanted

so what Wrath is saying is this....just buy a detroit and smile away
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode