Buy???Build??? A big block - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Standard SFA Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized Solid Front Axle Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-15-2003, 06:56 PM
73or87

Buy???Build??? A big block

I have a 454 block and heads and was wondering if I sould build it or should buy a crate motor. I was looking at 496 stroker Kits, but buy the time I have all the machine work done is it worth it. Or should I buy a Crate motor and where is the best place to buy one?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-16-2003, 09:04 AM
ratlover

Re: Buy???Build??? A big block

If you build it you get it built how you want it. Machine work can add up.

I got a 454 40 over sitting in my garage thats never been fired if you want to skip att that unpleasant stuff of lugging something to the machine shop. I will even be coming to MI oct 11 [img]images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]

First lets ask

What are the specifics of your truck(gearing trany the whole deal)

What do you want it to do. IE what important. do you want it to run on pump gas for 100k miles or do you mind adjusting the lash on a gonzo roller lifter every month or so?

We need more info to help steer you into the right direction. Tell us everything you want it to do and what you want to spend and how long your truck can be down and such and what your abilities are and such [img]images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-16-2003, 09:06 AM
ratlover

BTW it sounds like you really got a sweet project coming along.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-16-2003, 08:37 PM

If money isn't an issue, the crate motor is the way to go. But it you are like me, were money isn't an issue cause you don't have any, then you can do one thing at a time. If your gonna build a 496, then get the rotating assembly first. Then take the block down for the clearancing and boring. Then the cam, heads, etc. I have about 7k in my 468, I really wanted to get the ZZ502, but didn't have all that bread at once, so built the motor one peice at a time. Took awhile, but it's done. Scoggin Dickey is a good place to get a crate motor. I got my heads and valve covers there, and had no probs. I would buy a motor there over any other place.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 09-17-2003, 06:57 AM
ratlover

Actually I would not buy things a peice at a time. Ive had it happen and seen it happen in many projects. You get the thing 1/2 together and something pops up were you wont have the $$$ for awhile and you have a bunch off $$$ sitting there. I mean if its going to take you 6 months for a motor whats the difference in buying a piece at a time and not having it all together in 6 or going shopping and having it all bought at once? If you have a majority of the cash sitting aside its ok IMO or if you find good deals you cant pass up its not a bad idea to pick em up.

JMO on the number of 1/2 done projects I've seen when the $$$ dried up or other things happened.

Crate motors are good for people that dont have or want to learn the skills or dont have the time place equipment to do a rebuild or people that just want a waranty or people that need a motor NOW.

You can always build something better for cheaper. JMO
post #6 of (permalink) Old 09-17-2003, 07:18 PM
LunaticEh

I agree with everyone else. Build it yourself, you can build one hell of a big block for the price of a crate motor. Don't skimp on the heads too, that's where lot's of power lies, if you can afford to go aftermarket do it.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 10-03-2003, 01:01 PM
73or87

My truck has a 350 trans 4.10 or 4.11 gears, I am getting some 16/38.5x16.5 mickey claws. the truck was built for the sand dunes and mud but I want to be able to drive it on the steet and not worry about breking things. I want enough power that when I stand on it people want my truck. But not so much power that it is not steetable. I am coming into some money in a cople of weeks and have enough to build my motor right. If I stroke it to a 496 what kind of heads do I use? I dont want a truck that I a have a crap load of money in it but cant drive and show off. Hey ratlover do you still have that 454? How much do you want for it? Would I have to do anything to it to stroke it?
post #8 of (permalink) Old 10-03-2003, 07:58 PM
LunaticEh

For a good set of heads either build a set of oval port stock heads, or price out a set of Pro Action heads. We've had excellent results with these heads on both street and race engines. They flow more than enough air out of the box and require little if any porting and cleaning up. BTW, 500hp is very streetable and very fun at the same time, 600hp, 700hp just ups the fun factor. Just wait till some import with a coffee can exhaust pulls up on ya and you kill him out of the hole while spinnin the 38.5's, they look at you differently at the next light.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 10-06-2003, 03:27 PM
ratlover

You can stroke a 454 no problem. You would need a new crank and possible crearancing of the block. Any head will work for a stroker, some just would work better for certain applications.

The motor I have is complete minus the heads and a distributor. It has never been fired since rebuilt. Its at 40 over. New everything, arp studded, egal rods yada yada yada.

I would either get some factory oval ports and have em reworked or go with a set of merlin oval ports. The merlins require custom lenght pushrods and head studs/bolts. I built my motor for merlins and have all that stuff but sold the heads. I have no personal experince with proaction, I remeber when the SBC stuff came on the market that people were saying although thier reported #'s were a bit on the optomistic side should I say that they did still perform pretty well.

The good thing about BBC's and cubic inches is that you can build more HP outa them and keep em streetable. Think about what a 400hp BBC is like......mild and tame. Ever been around a true 400HP NA 302? Yes it can be done esily but a 400HP NA 302 can be a bit nasty on the street and a bit shorter lived.

Do a search on BBC and big block and rat and youll find lots of good discussion. You might even find the tread were I speced out my motor details. I might have a few extra parts to go with it or a few less, I cant remember but it will give you a general idea about what it is. I just dont feel like typing all that stuff again [img]images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img] If your interested we can hash out specific details. IMO a stroker BBC would be overkill in your application.

If you have anyspecific questions let us know. If you got the $$$ we will help you set up one hell of a ground pounder [img]images/graemlins/burnout.gif[/img] Just remeber the way to build a stong motor is to match every part so the motor works in harmony with itself. Throwing a bunch of wiz bang parts isnt the way to go. You should know every peice that is going to go into it before you buy 1 part. Just because head A works well for application B dosnt mean its the best for your application. Once you narrow things down a bit more then we can start picking peices and on to the really fun part of spending your money [img]images/graemlins/censor.gif[/img] [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode