OT: first "real" offroad ability enhancement - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Standard SFA Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized Solid Front Axle Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-12-2003, 01:25 PM Thread Starter
Carpal \'Tunnel

OT: first \"real\" offroad ability enhancement

I just ordered two Powertrax LockRights from National Drivetrain. They're going to ship them directly from Richmond Gear because they only have one in stock in Chicago. I should get them by the end of next week.

I talked to Kevin (extension #226) and he seemed to be a pretty cool guy. He even knew when I said "U.P." that I was from either Houghton or Marquette area.

I can't hardly wait until I can finally quit having to use the brakes to keep from getting stuck with only one tire on each axle spinning.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-12-2003, 02:59 PM

Re: OT: first \"real\" offroad ability enhancement

No regular detroit for the back eh?

Best Auto Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote
post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-12-2003, 03:21 PM Thread Starter
Carpal \'Tunnel

I spent about a month mulling that one over. And I mean it too. I spent the entire month of August thinking about it. I budgeted $500 for modifications to my truck this fall, more if I bought a winch ($650). Then they raised the price of LockRights to $255 and I had pretty much decided I was going to buy a winch instead. There's no way I was going to pay half the price of a Detroit for a lunchbox locker. They gave me the old price ($238) for them. I even considered waiting for AussieLocker to start selling their wannabe LockRights for 10 bolts but they told me it'd be at least three months.

The problem with the Detroit was cost. I'd been better off regearing my front axle (whichever one, I've got a spare now) to 3.73s and running my 14FF and put a Detroit in it. Then I'd add 225lbs to my truck and have a dragging differential case. I could offset the cost of regearing the front axle by selling my rear-disc 10 bolt for a couple hundred.

So I kept thinking about it. And thinking about it. And staring at a 9500lb winch. And thinking about it. Then I kept thinking about why I don't like automatic lockers and how they can be unpredictable in "da snow". We get around 300" of "da snow" each season and you're lucky if you see asphalt until Lake Superior freezes at least 40 miles out. I've driven with a Detroit in the snow a bunch of times and you get used to it but it's when a fluke happens that gets you in the ditch. I also didn't like how it didn't unlock in long curves and as you went further and further you'd have to turn the steering wheel more and more just like a spool.

So I said "fine, I'll go get a spool" because I like them and their predictability. Then remembered that I had a ten bolt. doh. splatter-city. Back to an automatic locker.

So I'd been beating my brain all this week. I decided that if I didn't like the LockRights in "da snow" I could swap them back out for my spiders in about two hours (depending on if I have to pull my rear calipers because lack of slop to get the c-clips out). That's what sold me on the LockRights instead of buying just one Detroit for the rear.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-12-2003, 10:50 PM
Enthusiast

Let us know how the install is and how happy you are with them. I am in the same situation, but I have two 4x4's. Which is first? Oh well.

Jim
post #5 of (permalink) Old 09-13-2003, 01:23 AM

Yeah i would also like to know how well they work. I want to get some sort of locker for my rear 10 bolt. Although I may go to 3/4 ton axles sooner then later...then im goin Detroit!...or Eaton Elec
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode