tranny id / shift pattern - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Standard SFA Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized Solid Front Axle Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-04-2003, 06:13 AM Thread Starter

tranny id / shift pattern

just had a new toy dropped off late last night, '84 stepside pickup, it was a factory deisel but the original owner had a dealership install a gmc crate engine. anyway i would assume it has a sm465 tranny with a H shift pattern and the guy warned me its hard to get into reverse which is off of 1. of course after he shows me how to get in reverse i can't reprodouce it after the first time, and the '84 service manual is of no help. anyone have a pic of a stock shifter with the pattern on it or an idea of where i get it back into reverse, for the life of me i cant feel it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-04-2003, 07:56 AM
Blazer1970

Re: tranny id / shift pattern

On a 465, reverse is to the right and down (next to 4th). If you are looking for it to the left, it is no wonder you are having trouble. If you have trouble getting the tranny into 1st or reverse (neither is synchronized), it helps to clear the tranny by shifting it into third first.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-04-2003, 08:27 AM Thread Starter

thats what i thought, my dads has the same tranny i assumed when i got it thats where it was. but the guy who dropped it off was going on and on about it being up off first on the left. so when i go to throw it in rev where i thought it should be, on left, and missed i go "hey mebbe he was right?" id bet i just have to clear it in third like you said and itll go in rev thx for that tip.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-04-2003, 05:50 PM Thread Starter

ok turns out reverse was to the left of first beleive it or not. it is for a fact a sm465, originally behind a deisel, no granny first and the rev is to the left of 1st as if the shift pattern had kinda been flipped and mirrored.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 09-04-2003, 10:13 PM
Addict

not a 465 .... maybe 420
post #6 of (permalink) Old 04-17-2004, 08:22 PM Thread Starter

jesus it took forever but in the midst of trying to switch from a manual clutch to hyrdo i figure out what tranny i have. never heard of it before its a new process 440. and yes reverse is on the center of 1/2 like i said. damn this thing is oddball i swear. turns out its like the new process A833 put in dodges. its a manual 3 speed w od. talk about happiness figurin that out. guess it helps when ya actually research for a few hours.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode