Locker recommendations - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Standard SFA Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized Solid Front Axle Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-03-2003, 11:09 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Locker recommendations

Well I am planing my re-gearing adventure and want to get some ideas on your recomendations for locker durability performance in the Chevy diff's. I have run mostly Detroit products in most of my Jeeps, and an Auburn limited slip in one of them. These were all in Dana 30 or 44 fronts, and Dana 35 or 44 rears. I really like the Detroit TrueTrac for up front as it is more of a limited slip and doesn't chirp or effect steering. I have used mostly the EZ lockers in the rear. Now in my part of Texas we do not get alot of ice on the road, but in withing the next year I will be moving back up in the snowy ice country of Wyoming. Do any of you guys in the northern areas have any gotchas or problems running a true locker in the rear in the ice? I have a 10 bolt front and a 12 bolt rear and was wondering if the same line of Detroits have worked well in these cases. If not what have you guys had luck with?

Thanks in advance
Steve

86 Burb
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-04-2003, 11:04 AM

Re: Locker recommendations

<font face="Comic Sans MS">With a locker on ice, any wheel spin at all will make it tend to want to swing the rear of the truck out... This is quite predictable and I don't consider it too much of a problem... However, it requires you to "PAY ATTENTION" to what the truck is doing (and ignore other crap like newspapers, the phone, passengers, etc), although you should *always* do that on snow or ice anyhow. Also, practice quite a bit before you try to push it at all... Essentially I do a controlled power slide type deal around every corner in winter, just 'cause it's fun and not particularly hard... It helps a lot when your schedule allows you to be driving when there's not a whole lot of other people out there as well...

Even from a dead stop wheelspin will make the truck want to kick sideways... Other tips I can think of are I have the best luck keeping the transmission in neutral on ice, because it is so ridiculously easy to break the tires loose, and in my experience it likes to break it loose when in gear and slowing down... Some others will disagree with that, and that's ok, 'cause it might be what they are experiencing, just like this is what I'm experiencing, which of course varies with setup, etc as to just what happens... </font>
post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-05-2003, 11:25 PM
Enthusiast

Do LSD's do a better job on snow and ice than do Lockers or is it the driver that makes the difference?

Jim
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-08-2003, 09:02 AM
ratlover

Driver makes the difference...a limited slip might be a little easier to drive for a non experienced person if it has a weaker bias set up(like if you dump a bunch of frictoin modifier juice in there or if its old and has a worn clutch/clutches)....but if its nice and grippy that is hard to overcome then it will be just about as bad. GM's stock locking diff (gov-lock) is about the easiest thing to drive in the snow because it dont really like to engague. They are easy/transparent to drive but offer limited traction and the only predictability is that they kinda suck and dont lock up most of the time. But if your heavy on the stupid pedal they will come around much easier than an open diff too.

An inexperience driver will definatly get into trouble quicker with a locker but for an experienced driver they are predicatable as hell. I put my k5 in a ditch once and i probably wouldnt have or if I woul have I probably woulda got stuck in a lesser way if I had a locker in it, it was icy and i was going slow but she started plowing going into a 90, I stood on her for all she was worth to power slide around it but I just spun one wheel and went straight.

I dont think the breaking the tires lose in snow when stoping is a function of the locker though, I've had vehicles with an open diff and they did it. I just think you have too much torque/to tight of stall converter in this sit.

A traction device in the front will make things kinda a pain.....you will probably wana push like hell. A selectable locker up front if you need one would be my recomendation.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 09-08-2003, 09:41 AM
Keyboard Implanted

Detroit Locker!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode