383 stroker - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Standard SFA Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized Solid Front Axle Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-02-2003, 07:54 PM
joblope

383 stroker

I'm thinking of buying a 383 stroker kit off ebay [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] and was wondering if any of you guys have had any experience with these kits. They say that they are race quality so I figure they should be fine for my truck. I've read a couple of books on how to put engines together but they don't really say what to look for.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-03-2003, 01:16 AM

Re: 383 stroker

Post the link to the auction and I'll tell you if the parts are ok or not... But when buying from ebay like that you never know if what you see in the pics is what will end up on your door step... I would go to a local engine shop and tell them what you want and have them put together a "kit" for you.

Best Auto Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote
post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-03-2003, 07:29 AM
Carpal \'Tunnel

I have a problem with buying internal engine parts, mainly due to fear of ruining the block, but it is hard to pass up a deal like this. I mean, Summit wants $300 for something like this:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...tem=2429822832
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-03-2003, 10:36 AM

Just remember, you get what you pay for....

post #5 of (permalink) Old 09-03-2003, 12:16 PM
Carpal \'Tunnel

Well, 99% of the time. A lot of places put a huge markup on stuff. For example, a lot of places sell Scat's SR cranks as "race" crankshafts when they're nothing more than stock replacements. And I'm sure the cranks Summit sells can be had elsewhere for a hundred bucks less.

Then there is that place like I linked to that says they sell cast cranks... but yet say they are heat treated. Cast cranks aren't heat treated, they're work-hardened. They can be cut multiple times and not have to be heated again.

I don't know, the whole thing makes me leary. I mean, I'm not even sure I trust buying a name-brand crank off eBay because you don't get any kind of warranty or guarantee that it is balanced or isn't going to grenade after a couple hundred runs at six grand.

I mean, I want an internally balanced forged 3.75" crank but that's $500.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 09-03-2003, 04:18 PM

I buy my kits from HERE

You get awsome quality parts for one, but the best part is you get everything from dampner to flexplate from them and it's completely balanced together as one unit. So it's all ready to go.

post #7 of (permalink) Old 09-03-2003, 04:31 PM
joblope

Here is what the guy advertises is in the kit. I've been watching these kits for about 2 months and people keep buying them and he keeps getting good feedback. I don't know [img]images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] I don't have a lot of experience, but I do want to put in a 383.

YOU ARE BIDDING ON A COMPLETE 383 STROKER KIT THAT WILL MAKE YOU REGULAR 350 HAUL A**. THIS KIT COMES WITH EVERYTHING YOU NEED FOR TOP PERFORMANCE. RETAILS FOR $700, RESERVE IS MUCH LOWER. HERE ARE ALL THE PARTS INCLUDED:

SILVOLITE CLAIMER PISTONS H3426
HASTINGS MOLY RINGS 2M139
CLEVITE ROD BEARINGS CB663P
CLEVITE MAIN BEARINGS MS909P
MELLING HI-VOLUME OIL PUMP M55HV
FEL-PRO PERFORMANCE GASKET SET 92600
PBM PERFORMANCE CAMSHAFT 290/300 222/231 .468 .480 110 LOBE
PBM PERFORMANCE LIFTER HA817
DURA-BOND CAM BEARINGS CH8
PIONEER BRASS EXPANSION PLUG PE100B
PBM PERFORMANCE DOUBLE ROW 3 KEYWAY TIMING SET 700
PBM PERFORMANCE HYDRAULIC VALVE SPRINGS 3000 (1.250 OD 110#@1.700 300#@1.250 .500 LIFT)
PBM PERFORMANCE CHROME MOLY RETAINERS 501S
PBM PERFORMANCE 7 DEGREE HD KEEPERS
PBM PERFORMANCE CRANKSHAFT 3.750 STROKE 2 PIECE SEAL
post #8 of (permalink) Old 09-03-2003, 09:49 PM
LunaticEh

If I were to ever build a 383, I'd just go with a one piece rear main block from the start to avoid
oil leaks and it makes it easier to step up to a roller cam in the future. Just remember not to
throw too much cam into the motor and lose your torque. I was talked out of a 383 into a 406
by my builder and got over 500ft-lbs on premium gas. It also idles like a stocker although a bit
louder from the exhaust. As far as the engine parts off e-bay, I like to see it before I buy it that
way you know your not getting junk. It's your money tho.....
post #9 of (permalink) Old 09-03-2003, 10:01 PM
Carpal \'Tunnel

The savings is about $nothing if you don't get a roller block to begin with. We're talking like $800 to convert non-roller to roller.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 09-04-2003, 01:18 AM
LunaticEh

Maybe in the U.S. it's that cheap.... in Canada it costs a little more.... either way I'd go with a roller setup if a person can afford it...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode