How do u guys feel about swaybars?? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Standard SFA Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized Solid Front Axle Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-01-2003, 11:48 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

How do u guys feel about swaybars??

I lifted my truck a couple weeks ago and did not hook the swaybar back up, I just left it hanging.
Been driving the truck since and cant tell much of a difference.

So I guess my question is would you guys hook it back up(if so how) or would you just take it off?

Its not like a lifted truck is susposed to handle like a sports car anyways. [img]images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]

thanks [img]images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-01-2003, 11:52 PM

Re: How do u guys feel about swaybars??

Leave it off, saves time not having to unhook it when headed out to the rocks.

Best Auto Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote
post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-02-2003, 12:03 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Sure did take you long enough to reply willys. [img]images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Yah I thought about the quick disconnects from ORD, But that would require more money and taking the bar off is free.Also I dont think I will miss it.
If I do I can allways put it back on later [img]images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-02-2003, 01:06 AM

I'm a bit slow today [img]images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]

post #5 of (permalink) Old 09-02-2003, 02:00 AM
Resurrection_Joe

Leave it off

I took mine off and the Rough Countries which I had at the time went from putting the tire halfway into the wheelwell to rubbing the top of the inner fender. Not much dive at the corners on the street either, but the springs are pretty stiff.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 09-02-2003, 03:53 PM
Carpal \'Tunnel

I only have 4" of lift so I just left my swaybar hooked up. It's only when you go more than 4" that you need to worry about relocating your swaybar.

My truck is pretty inclined to have excess body roll even with my 15x10 wheels so there is no way I'd run without if I ran narrower tires or wheels. It's going to suck this fall when I put my snow tires on. If it wasn't my daily driver then yeah I'd take it off. But I wouldn't run shocks or a steering dampener either. Those things are needed as much as a swaybar when you're out in the woods.

With my swaybar hooked up I still have more articulation than I did stock because my tires are further from the wheel openings (which was the limiting factor before). Sure, without the swaybar it'd flex easier but that doesn't mean a whole lot to me. My front and rear springs have about the same amount of arch in them even though the rear springs are about two feet longer. The weight difference between front and rear means my truck flexes about the same front and rear.

As reference, I have enough dive in the front end that I can go around a corner with the stupid pedal on the floor and the speed limiting factor is how much body roll I've got. The inside rear tire just spins like mad if I try to go faster.

post #7 of (permalink) Old 09-02-2003, 05:30 PM

About your no shocks thing, I have been off road with no shocks, and it sucks when you have alot of suspension travel...

post #8 of (permalink) Old 09-02-2003, 05:58 PM
Carpal \'Tunnel

In what way?

Around here you rarely exceed 10mph unless you're on asphalt so the "dampening" effect of shocks don't do you much good. Besides, most of the guys that run trail-only rigs would have to run limiting straps and monster bumpstops to keep the welds from breaking on the shocks under hard compression.

In fact, Ryan ran limiting straps on his "kustom koil" XJ because his springs would fall out...
post #9 of (permalink) Old 09-02-2003, 09:35 PM

1) Wheel hop was really bad on hill climbs and such

2) Rearend was unpredictable on steep hill descents, back end would lift way up making you feel like your going over

3) Less roll control on side hills, body wants to just lay over. Where with shocks it's a slower and more predictable roll which usually takes long enough for you to be out of the situation.

This was on a softly sprung k5.

post #10 of (permalink) Old 09-02-2003, 10:56 PM
Carpal \'Tunnel

I know exactly what you mean. Most of what I said pertains to the front end because it isn't hard to get shocks that fit the rear that are long enough with enough stroke.

Well, really squishy vehicles that are topheavy kind of need sway control. Such as a K5 which weighs a lot more in the top half of the truck than my truck. Ryan's XJ is another example:
http://www.sos.mtu.edu/4x4/images/ryanl.jpg

Vehicles running 6-8" spring lifts aren't so much the case. Most people with SFA GM stuff don't run front shocks because it is hard to get enough travel out of them. IE: it's hard to get a lot of stroke out of shocks due to the fact the shocks are so far outboard at their mounting points. I run stocker rear shocks on the front of my truck so I have about 12" of stroke. That's plenty for someone running a swaybar but for the guys running 10" of lift they severely limit articulation. IE: my 23" long front shocks have the same amount of travel as a 29" long shock.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode