rear end clicking - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Standard SFA Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized Solid Front Axle Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 08-28-2003, 10:11 PM
cnred

rear end clicking

I have a 1987 Chevrolet 3/4 Ton Pickup 4 X 4 with a manual transmission and a 14 bolt rear end; 9 1/2 inch ring gear, and there is a slight ticking once in a while coming from what would be around the area of my front pinion bearing. My U joint looks good. If it is my pinion bearing, do I have to take the cover off to get to it? Thanks for your help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 08-28-2003, 11:46 PM
Can't Get Enough

Re: rear end clicking

U-joimnt looks good? Hell, i could take the engine out of my car and it would still look good, but wouldn't be worth a darn. The Outer appearance has nothing to do with the internals being worn all to hell, or even needing grease. Just because there is no play in the joint doesn't mean it is not worn out either. The only way to tell ould be to remove it and look, but if you are that far, might as well spend 10 bucks for a new one. Does your pinion yoke have any play in it? Pull your diff cover and see if you have large amounts of metal shavings in the fluid. If you only have a small amount of dark crud in the bottom stuck to the magnet then it miht not be the bearing. Just an idea, pull the rear drive shaft(completely remove it from the truck) and drive in Front wheel drive to see if the noise continues. If not, if most likely is the U-joint.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 08-29-2003, 10:24 AM
cnred

I have put the trucks rear axle up on jack stands and put the truck in neutral got under it and spun the back tires and yes the pinion yoke has play in it also I can hold the drive shaft not moving and still spin the tires? I have all but surely pin pointed the clicking to where the pinon seal and yoke come together.this is not a constant thing but on and off. Also the drain filler plug is the type where you insert a 3/8" drive rachet end and it is stripped out so there is no way to check my fluid much less fill it any ideas on that? thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 08-29-2003, 11:33 AM

New diffs have backlash... Being able to move the tires is normal without the pinion turning.

Is there any side to side or up and down or front to back play in the pinion itself? If so the bearings are shot.

Does your pinion seal leak? Often worn out bearings, which let the pinion move, cause the pinion seal to start leaking.

Pull your diff cover and drain your fluid. Check the gears over and look for any burn marks or gouges or anything. Check the bottom for bearing parts, metal shavings, etc.

For the plug, use a drill and drill out the plug and use an ez out on it after soaking it in wd40 or similar. There usually not too tight since they are bathed in fluid all the time...

Best Auto Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote
post #5 of (permalink) Old 08-29-2003, 11:01 PM
cnred

what is the easyest way to tell if I have limited slip rear end? thanks.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 08-29-2003, 11:12 PM

On the carrier there will be 3 cross pin holes if it's gov-lock and 4 if it's open. There about 1" diameter holes around the outside of the carrier just to the right of the ring gear.

Best Auto Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote
post #7 of (permalink) Old 08-30-2003, 01:55 AM

For the plug, if theres room, grind a little lip in it and chisel it out, then replace with a bolt.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode