transfer case isue - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Standard SFA Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized Solid Front Axle Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 08-24-2003, 06:26 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

transfer case isue

I have an 1983 chevy K10 Scottsdale 4x4. It initially came with a diesel & 700r4, but the previous owner put in a 305 and a TH350 tranny. The transfer case is a 208c.

I checked the fluid about a week ago in the transfer case, because it has a small leak. When I opened the fill cap, it poured quite a lot of transmission fluid out, about 2 quarts or more. I couldn't understand how so much could get above the line.

Anyway a few days later I checked the transmission fluid and found it to be 3 quarts low. So I filled that to the correct line and the truck ran good.

Then I checked the transfer case again, suspecting the tranny fluid was moving from the transmission to the transfer case, and sure enough tranny fluid came pouring out. I quickly closed the plug.

This isn't normal is it ? If it isn't then how or what is causing this, and how serious is it repair wise and driving wise.

Thanks for anyone's help.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 08-25-2003, 01:42 AM
LunaticEh

Re: transfer case isue

Easy fix... There's a seal on the input shaft of the t-case that is supposed to keep oil from transfering to the t-case from the trans. Go to your dealer, or preferred parts store, buy the seal, pull the t-case and replace the seal. Or if your not a do it yourselfer take it in and have it done. It's a fairly common occurance. When I was wrenching for GM they were done fairly often. Good luck..
post #3 of (permalink) Old 08-25-2003, 06:04 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: transfer case isue

I'm sure glad to hear it's an easy fix ! Thanks for your help. I've got a shop that's going to reseal the case, so I'll get them to do that as well.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode