350 hard to start? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Standard SFA Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized Solid Front Axle Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 08-23-2003, 06:44 AM
Zooman

350 hard to start?

I have a 78 chev with a 350. I just put on an eldebrock intake and eldebrock carb. I really have to crank the engine over for about 10 minutes before it will start. Then it run fine.
Before I put the intake and carb on the truckit had a 2 barrel carb and it started the same way. I just figured it was the carb causing the problem.

I have put off road needle and seats into my elebrock carb as well. I am going to check the timing tomorrow to see if that helps and maybe some new plug wires.
Could this hard starting just be timing?
Thanks alot
Matt
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 08-23-2003, 03:11 PM

Re: 350 hard to start?

I would also try the fuel filter, I know I had problems with my vehicle starting and it was the fuel filter.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 08-23-2003, 11:19 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I have been fighting with the same problems myself. [img]images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

I have done all of the above plus more.

I have Changed plugs, wires, cap, rotor, needles and seats in my edelbrock carb, curve kit, set timming, put on a fuel regulator to help with the overflow of fuel, new filter, new pump, and today I changed out the ignition coil. So far the coil seems like it may have been week and was the problem. Since I changed the coil I havent had a problem YET with the hard starting. Hope this took care of my problem and might help you out. [img]images/graemlins/cussing.gif[/img]

Chuck [img]images/graemlins/RockOn.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 08-24-2003, 05:40 AM
Zooman

The fuel filter is brand new, it is an in-line one and clear.

Before you put your coil on once you got your truck started did it run fine?

I have also put a new cap and rotor on mine.
Matt
post #5 of (permalink) Old 08-24-2003, 02:32 PM
87sm465np208

choke werking proporly? i had an ol ford F-100 with the 300 1-6, i cranked it over for about 10 minutes then got frustrated and decided to see if i could spray some starting fluid in the carb, took off the air filter only to see that the choke was wide open, closed it, and the thing started right up, just my experience. [img]images/graemlins/chair.gif[/img]
post #6 of (permalink) Old 08-24-2003, 05:30 PM
Zooman

Today I tried it again and noticed that the fuel filter was pretty much empty. After I cranked it over for a while the filter filled up some and the truck started. All day long I would let the truck sit and the filter would stay full and the truck would start right up.
What would cause the fuel filter to emty after a few days? Is it normal?
Thanks
Matt
post #7 of (permalink) Old 08-24-2003, 06:50 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Yes my truck ran fine after I got it started. Just getting it started was the problem.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 08-25-2003, 01:49 AM
LunaticEh

How old's your fuel pump? If it's taking a long time to fill the filter it might be a problem with the pump. Check your pressure and flow off the pump.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 08-25-2003, 03:55 PM
joblope

I would check the fuel pump and timing. Last winter I changed the intake, carb, cam, distributor, and heads, and the dumb thing would crank and crank then start and back fire through the carb. Timing is everything.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode