rhino lining - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Standard SFA Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized Solid Front Axle Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 08-20-2003, 03:13 PM
joblope

rhino lining

I tore out my carpet and seats in my Blazer, and now I would like to line it with a rubber lining. I've heard about rhino lining, or herculiner. Also, I went to NAPA and they have this spray rubber that I could use to line my truck. The spray seems like it would produce better coverage in the areas that a brush or roller couldn't reach. Does anyone have any experience using any of the rubber coatings, and which ones stick the best? Also any prep suggestions. I am basically sanding down the old paint, but not to the bar metal.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 08-20-2003, 05:08 PM
Can't Get Enough

Re: rhino lining

I have been thinking of doing the same thing with my Suburban. I've heard a lot of good stuff about Herculiner. I priced Rhinoliner for my dad's longbed, they wanted $600.
After you sand it down, you'll need to use something to clean it. Laquer thinner should work good.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 08-20-2003, 06:40 PM
Carpal \'Tunnel

I used Plasti-Kote rattle can stuff in my truck. It took four cans at $6.96/each at Wal-Mart to do it. I like it. It's really coarse though, kind of like sandpaper.

It seems to be plenty durable.

No matter what, it's all about the prep work. I ended up wiping mine down with lacquer thinner. You're supposed to use xylene but that stuff is expensive.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 08-21-2003, 10:37 AM

Rhino liner is great stuff, but expensive and kinda overkill for inside a vehicle, it does eliminate a lot of noise though. Herculiner is strong and works well. My personal experience with the spray on ones is that their not very durable in high use areas (like the drivers floor) and will peel and wear off.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 08-27-2003, 09:33 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I used Herculiner in the Suburban. I ripped out all the carpet, cleaned with Acetone, used sandpaper on any rusty spots, and then steel wool on the rest. Rhino lining is very expensive in my area,they wanted 800 bucks to do the Burb. The other disadvantage it has is that if you ever scrape it you cannot repair it as it will not bond to itself. That is the best advantage of Herculiner and Durabak, they can be touched up if you really gouge it. Both Herculiner and Durabak have recycled tier material in them, however I have used both (in different vehicles) and the herculiner seems to be a bit more pliable feeling and cuts road noise a bit more. On the other hand the Durabak seems to be a touch more durable, especially in a fewer coating application. I am preping my 4x4 Cherokee for a full outside coat of Herculiner, looks good and you never have to worry about scratches again. Durabak also comes in more colors so if you aren't putting carpet back in you might like the color choices better. Either product you choose I think you will be happy with, I have been on multiple vehicles. On application use a brush liberally up in the corner spots(kinda gob it in, then brush it out) then use the special rubber texture rollers on everything else. [img]images/graemlins/RockOn.gif[/img]
post #6 of (permalink) Old 08-27-2003, 11:55 PM
joblope

my brother loves herculiner. I've never heard about durabak, I'll check them out for pricing. I figured that first I would put one of those coatings on, then on top of that put the polyvinal floor covering, and that should really kill [img]images/graemlins/AR15firing.gif[/img] road noise [img]images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img].
post #7 of (permalink) Old 08-28-2003, 08:54 AM
Can't Get Enough

How does your herculiner work out in the Suburban? Does it cut down the road noise and engine heat?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode