350 TBI on a 351W - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Standard SFA Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized Solid Front Axle Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 08-19-2003, 08:11 PM Thread Starter

350 TBI on a 351W

This is going to be my next big project. I plan to go to Pick n Pull and get the Throttle Body, Wiring, and brain box. They sell it for $120 insured. [img]images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] I have a diagram from an old wheelin' magazine on how to wire it into the Ford ignition box. So the plan is to put this proven setup on my 351W. My purest friends on the FS Ford board scream bloody murder but I've been attracted to the simplicity of Chevy TBI for some time. Sorry for the rambling. My question is: What kind of problems will I likely encounter? I plan to purchase the Holly square bore adapter plate so I shouldn't have mounting issues. Would it run better on an alluminum manifold? Or will the stock cast iron 4V work OK? Thanks for taking the time to read this and I wait with anticipation for your responses. Thanx. NORM
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 08-20-2003, 08:27 AM
ratlover

Re: 350 TBI on a 351W

TBI's are basicly electric carbs. Any Al mani might make the truck run better overall but the TBI dont really give a hoot. Just dont dump a vic jr on there or something [img]images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

If you go with aluminum you might be able to get rid of the adapter/spacer. That would be a possible benefit IMO.

Fule pressure is about the only thing I would worry about.....its not a worry just make sure you arnt trying to feed it 4 or 50psi or it might get a lil pissy.

Next you will be swaping out the rest of that ford stuff....dont worry we can help with that too [img]images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img] [img]images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img] [img]images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Good luck

post #3 of (permalink) Old 08-20-2003, 08:39 AM Thread Starter

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
Next you will be swaping out the rest of that ford stuff

[/ QUOTE ] Now that would be sacrilege! [img]images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] How much fuel pressure does the TBI like? I was going to run an primer electric pump, a high flow electric past that, a regulator at the TBI with gauge to read the pressure, and a return line. If I'm real motivated I may just get a tank out of an FI Bronco and use all of it's plumbing respectively. I'll still have to run a regulator though I think. How do the TBI's feel about a stroked motor? Were any of the 400's Injected with the TBI? I have been considering a 390 stroker crank for my rebuild in the future. Would the 350 TBI feed it? I've contemplated this buildup for awhile. One more question: Does the TBI prefer an open plennum or duel plennum intake? Thanx for the response. [img]images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] NORM
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 08-21-2003, 09:28 AM
ratlover

I dont think the TPI really care about what type of intake its on....it would work the same on a tunnel ram as a dual plane, its your motor that might not run optimum. Use the intake that will best suit the motor. A 454 TBI might be better. Same deal as a 350 but will spit more gas. Just remeber that a TBI is just like a carb.....a carb dont care what its on except for how much fule/air is trying to be drawn outa it. A carb dont care if its on a 454 or a 302. A 302 spinning to the moon might need a bigger crab than a 454 motor in a boat that will onlly spin 4500. 400's went by by before FI was used.

I'm thinking TBI's like 14......but dont quote me on that. Check a chiltons or the like or hopfully someone else will chime in. most carbs like any were from 4-9 or so and regular FI generally likes much higher.

Primer....you mean a lift pump? By the tank? I think you are kinda on the right path. Most electric pumps dont like to suck.....they like to push. You should be able to get away with one pump....unless the primer pump is going to do something I dont know about? The return line is a good idea since it will help the pump run cooler and live longer.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 08-21-2003, 03:38 PM Thread Starter

Thanx man! I'll try and source one of a big block 454. Which trucks did they come on? Pardon my ignorance to GM all I really know is Ford and Yota and I'm learning as I go. You have been a great help! The brain box is in the passenger side kick pannel right? Or is it behind the glove box? Thanx again. NORM
post #6 of (permalink) Old 08-22-2003, 08:37 AM
ratlover

1/2 tons didnt get em.....some 3/4 and 1 tons. good luck [img]images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Dont know were its hiding [img]images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] I've never paid attention on a TBI truck [img]images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]

Try to get the O2 and the water temp and all the other wires and sensors.

Getting a chiltons of the year your working with might be a big help......jason pane aka willyswanter might have a schematic of the particular vehical that he might let you use. might drop him a pm....he hangs here and the ifs forum
post #7 of (permalink) Old 08-24-2003, 01:19 PM
Keyboard Implanted

The GM TBI system will control both the fuel injector pulse rate and ignition timing curve. You have hit the nail on the head when you describe having the GM Engine Control Module (ECM) control the ignition timing curve as being the #1 obstacle! The best bang for the buck and the many hours of labor involved for a non-GM engine TBI conversion is to get the GM ECM to run closed loop. The GM ECM has some ability to learn the engine parameters of a non-GM engine if the engine sizes are close in displacement, called the "block learn".

If I was to convert a non-GM engine to TBI, I would make things as simple under the hood as possible. In my local emission test area, I'm only required to pass a tail pipe emission test. So most every non-GM emission part under the hood would hit the landfill, except the fuel vapor system which I would have the GM ECM control. I would landfill the EGR system, and exhaust AIR system. I would keep the non-GM PCV system. I would keep the Ford temperature and oil pressure sending units for the dash instrument panel, and add all the GM TBI sensors so I could run closed loop. I would also install the GM electric fuel pump safety systems, like an oil pressure safety switch to shut off the electric fuel pump if the engine should stall in an accident. I just don't understand why some people will spend $$$ on a fuel injection system, then in ignorance, not provide themselves a simple fire safety device because they can't figure out two wires.

Doing the conversion is not going to be easy if you need to learn how a GM TBI operates. If you know the GM TBI extremey well, it's an easy system to adapt to a non-GM engine.
dave

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode