gauge cluster swap in 78 ???? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Standard SFA Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized Solid Front Axle Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 08-16-2003, 02:58 AM Thread Starter

gauge cluster swap in 78 ????

2 questions
1.I recently changed the gauge cluster (as one unit including the tach, speedo, temp, fuel etc. plastic housing and all) in a Jeep Cherokee. The old one had a big obnoxious gas gauge the same size as the speedo and all idiot lights (just like my 78 truck) the new one is all gauges and moves the gas gauge to the side and gives me a tach (surprisingly plug in the wires and it works though I did have to change the sending units for the temp and oil pressure) the point is it was a quick swap. has anyone tried this same thing with a chevy truck and what does it take? are the gauge clusters with a tach almost impossible to find at wrecking yards? I am trying for a clean factory install for minimal cash. any help or thoughts?
2. is the factory tach electrial or mechancial?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-17-2003, 08:25 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: gauge cluster swap in 78 ????

I have a 80 k30 with the factory tach dash that I am parting out. I have been a Chevy person all my life and this is the first one I have seen, so I feel they are pretty rare. I will supply any wiring from the truck to make the dash work also. Interested?
post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-17-2003, 11:05 PM Thread Starter

yes I am interested.I have seen two other vehicles in that setup one was a 79 and the other I am not sure of but about 76 they are rare though, Is the tach electrical or machanical? and how much $$$ are you thinking? also I use to live in texas, where you at?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-18-2003, 05:54 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I PM'D YA!!!
post #5 of (permalink) Old 09-18-2003, 02:31 PM
Carpal \'Tunnel

All GM tachs from at least the seventies are electrical.

Factory tach clusters were pretty rare. They were common only in the "sport" package they had which was the shortbox 4x4 with SM465. Some 2wds had them. I never saw one in an automatic pickup.

I did a writeup on how to get tachs out of other vehicles and migrate them to our clusters. It was a while ago now since I've had the tach for a long time it seems.

http://www.wrath.com/4x4/tach.htm
post #6 of (permalink) Old 09-19-2003, 04:12 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

wrath, got one in the shop. '78 or '79 GMC K15 400sb/Auto/NP203, has a Tach and factory Cruise Control. Not sure on the year 'cause I only looked at it once before I left for college, something my dad picked up to tinker on.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode