TBI to TPI conversion - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Standard SFA Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized Solid Front Axle Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 08-13-2003, 10:55 AM Thread Starter

TBI to TPI conversion

I can across a 97 firebird 350 (30th anniversery edition) motor I can score for cheap, with the computer and wiring, if I pull it myself. I belive it's a LTI motor with either 305 or 320 hp?? but am not sure of the exact numbers. It's going into a 87 K30. I need some info on how much of a pain this swap would be? I am sure this topic has been covered, but could not find them through a search. Any info on the swap or on previous articles?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 08-14-2003, 01:56 AM
LunaticEh

Re: TBI to TPI conversion

I think as long as you pull the entire harness with all the nessecary modules it shouldn't be a problem. I think I've seen swap kits advertised somewhere... I'll take a look soon and see if I can find it again. The only thing I'd be concerned about is the passlock ignition, fuel system before the motor (high volume pump, proper return lines etc), and O2 sensors. If is has pre and post O2 sensors, converters will have to be put in. It's definatly something that I'd attempt. Guys are dropping LT1 & LS1 engines in their F-bodies so maybe try a search for that also. If I find anything else I'll let you know.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 08-19-2003, 10:33 AM Thread Starter

-Has anyone had good luck with a paticular way to retrofit the high preasure/volume pump to an older tank?
-What's the best way to get around the 'vehicle speed sensor' code?
-Can you bypass at the O2 sensor (or sensors)on these engines? I know for hondas the make a modual that filters the O2 sensor reading so you can ditch the cat.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 08-20-2003, 08:44 AM

I've heard using a small primer pump and a high flow unit in the same line works well. The primer pump needs to be close to the tank. BTW, whutcha gonna do with your TBI Should you do this swap? [img]images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]
post #5 of (permalink) Old 08-20-2003, 11:39 AM
Carpal \'Tunnel

Ford uses a bunch of inexpensive fuel pumps. Some of them even had two pumps, a pump in the tank and then a booster pump along the frame rail. They had a bunch of different ones ranging from 7psi up to 80psi. A Furd guy could tell you more.

I don't know how you'd eliminate the VSS code. A thirdgen site could tell you.

Running without an oxygen sensor is stupid on an EFI system. You can do it, but it is stupid. It pretty much eliminates the whole point of having EFI. Can it be done? Yeap. Can you buy ones to eliminate them for after the converter? Yeap.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode