transfer case, axle questions - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Standard SFA Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized Solid Front Axle Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 08-11-2003, 06:56 PM
joblope

transfer case, axle questions

Hi, I just joined. I have a 79 Blazer and questions questions questions [img]images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]. Question 1. I have a NP 203 transfercase, however it has manual locking hubs. Does this mean I have a conversion kit so it is not in all wheel drive? Also, I have the chance of obtaining front and rear axles from a 3/4 ton suburban. The rear axle is a 14 bolt. Is it worth the hassel, or, will I have to fabricate any thing to get those axles in? I do weekend offroading, and right now I'm in the process of getting my Blazer into offroading condition. At first I played with the engine, and now I'm moving on. Finally, I looked on the front axle to find the gear ratio and can't find anything. Am I looking at the wrong place, or is there some where else to look? I was looking at the front and couldn't find a thing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 08-12-2003, 08:24 PM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

Re: transfer case, axle questions

1. I would say it most likely would have it.

2. The 14b is a good platform to run, and well worth the time if you are running large tires. If you plan on staying in the 33-35 inch range and doing moderate wheeling you should be OK with your current set-up. If you choose to swap it will pretty much swap right over. You will need some different U-joints, which are easy to get as long as you know what axles you have etc.

3. Try looking on the top of the axle tube (between the diff and the rotors) on each side for a number. It will most likely be on the top, but could be anywhere. Take a wire brush and start looking. Find it and write it down, call a salvage yard in your area and they should be able to tell you the ratio etc. (they usually have better reference books then a dealer) May as well get the rear too, the number will tell the ratio and if it has a limited slip in etc.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 08-13-2003, 12:04 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

[img]images/graemlins/beach.gif[/img] I just joined too and am a little lost. Ive got a 72 Blazer 4x4 and am going to start some heavy working on it. I was looking for transfer case help??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 08-13-2003, 01:15 AM

Am I going to have to ask questions until I guess what your question is? LOL, I'm just messin' with ya. But, you are going to have to be a little bit more specific than that.

Transfer case help can be found in isle 7........ [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Just ask.... plenty of people around who probably know the answer.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 08-13-2003, 10:02 AM

The 14 bolt is a great axle, but is extremly heavy and hangs down really low. If your going to be stuck with all that weight and low clearence, you might as well get the stronger full floating 14b, which also has a much larger ring gear and is all around a better axle.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 08-13-2003, 03:21 PM
joblope

One the axle, is the place where you find the gear ratio a tag or is it stamped on the differential or axle? I just wonder because it looks like a tag could have been removed or broken off by the differential [img]images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img] (I get great entertainment from these faces [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img])
post #7 of (permalink) Old 08-13-2003, 03:34 PM

They came with tags, that were attached at the cover with the cover bolts..... but usually they don't survive many years on there. Here and there you still find one hanging on.

The number I mentioned looking for is stamped in the tube... not the diff.. usually on the pass side, but I may be wrong. It will be there between the diff and the the rotor. It won't be a number you will understand.... just a series of numbers, but when referenced in the right book it will tell you what you need.

Your ratio is most likely gong to be 3:08/3:07 (same thing), with a poss that it is 3:73. I would bet on the 3:08 before anything else. But, you can always dream... [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
post #8 of (permalink) Old 08-13-2003, 08:33 PM

Can't believe no one's said it yet but the only way to know for sure what the gear ratio is and wether or not you have a posi differential is to pull the cover, change the old crappy oil, and look for the tooth count numbers on the outer edge of the ring gear. Just jack a tire off the groung, drop the cover, find the section of the ring gear that the numbers are stamped on and bingo. Should tell you the date of production, possibly the manufacturer, and the ratio will be there expressed as ring gear teeth and pinion teeth..

something like: 02 29 76 xcxzc x xcz 41 11

the 41 11 stands for 3.73:1

What drivetrain does your blazer have?

What year of suburban are you getting the diffs out of?

My advice would be get the truck running and trail ready, drive it for the rest of the summer/fall and by winter you'll have a much better idea of what mods you want to put $$$ into first.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 08-14-2003, 12:36 AM
joblope

So I have a TH350, and the suburban is an 86 I think. I just got some 33x12.5x16 tire sitting in the garage, and I thought the lower gear ratio would help. I might just have a transmission shop put in lower gears in the differential, but I think that may be expensive. We'll see. The thing with the 14 bolt axles is that I could pretty much trade for them with minimal expense, but being in grad school made think twice about that option because I would be doing all the work.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 08-14-2003, 12:45 AM
joblope

One last thing. This trucks has three main purposes. One to tow (I want to be able to tow heavy loads), two is to go weekend wheelin, and three, I will probably be driving it on most days. WIth that in mind, with 33s do I even need to go to 4.10 gears or will 3.73 be fine?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode