what came in army trucks??? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Standard SFA Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized Solid Front Axle Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 08-11-2003, 04:28 PM Thread Starter

what came in army trucks???

I know where there is an army truck, 1 ton, that I may have a chance at getting. I know that they have 4:56s in them, but heard different things about what type of lockers they have. I've heard that they have Gov-loks, but read something the other day that they have Detroit lockers in them. Are they both available, or is somebody full of $#%^?? All I need is the rear carrier out of it so I can finally get my truck rolling under it's own power, and this thing may have what I need!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 08-11-2003, 04:32 PM
Aquaman

Re: what came in army trucks???

The M1009's are 1/2 ton K5's

The M1008's have d60, 14ff, 4.56 gears. Some have detroit rear, but most of govlocks. Usually it's the ambulances that have the detroits. They have open fronts.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 08-11-2003, 11:51 PM
Carpal \'Tunnel

Most M1008s came with 4.10s or 4.56s with a Detroit in the rear and open front. The ambulances and other 5/4 ton vehicles usually got a limited-slip in the front.

M1009s came with 6.2L/TH400/NP208 and 3.08 10 bolts with a Gov-lock in the rear.

There are slight variations but by and far this is what you'll find.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 08-12-2003, 02:44 PM

1008's have detroits in the rear and trac-locs up front.
it was the ambulances that had full detroits front and rear
i don't know what blazers had exactly but i'm sure it was gov loc rear and open front..half ton junk
post #5 of (permalink) Old 08-12-2003, 06:51 PM
Carpal \'Tunnel

Well, the only known for sure thing that the M1008 had was a 14FF/D60 and that the rear had a locker. 99% of them received 4.56 gears but I have seen one 1985 M1008 with 4.10s. I think it was an oddball. It had been put into duty on an airport.

Virtually all M1008s received an open front. I have never seen one with a locker in it. I am told they exist though.

I have, however, seen ambulance ones (M1010) with a clutch-type limited slip.

All M1028 (the ones with the shelter/communications box on the back) and M1031(cab & chassis) had a clutch-type limited-slip in the front.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 08-12-2003, 10:08 PM Thread Starter

I went to look at it again tonite, don't think it means anything, but the tag in the glovebox says base rear. I know trucks that have the locker/limited slip says locking rear differential, this one just says base rear, and doesn't give the ratio, and says military package on the last line of the tag. What I am guessing/hoping, is that it is an open rear, and a Detroit was stuffed in there for the military package. Hopefully soon I can talk to them and see what they are gonna do with the stupid thing, just sitting there rusting more.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 08-19-2003, 09:41 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

my 77 dodge m880 has a 318 v8, heavy duty everything, all metal, no comfort, 737 tranny, np 203 transfer, d60 rear, d44 front. 4.10.1 gearing.

theo

its 5/4 ton pu
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode