Off Roading Forums banner

what came in army trucks???

641 views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  **DONOTDELETE** 
#1 ·
I know where there is an army truck, 1 ton, that I may have a chance at getting. I know that they have 4:56s in them, but heard different things about what type of lockers they have. I've heard that they have Gov-loks, but read something the other day that they have Detroit lockers in them. Are they both available, or is somebody full of $#%^?? All I need is the rear carrier out of it so I can finally get my truck rolling under it's own power, and this thing may have what I need!!!!

#3 ·
Most M1008s came with 4.10s or 4.56s with a Detroit in the rear and open front. The ambulances and other 5/4 ton vehicles usually got a limited-slip in the front.

M1009s came with 6.2L/TH400/NP208 and 3.08 10 bolts with a Gov-lock in the rear.

There are slight variations but by and far this is what you'll find.

#4 ·
1008's have detroits in the rear and trac-locs up front.
it was the ambulances that had full detroits front and rear
i don't know what blazers had exactly but i'm sure it was gov loc rear and open front..half ton junk

#5 ·
Well, the only known for sure thing that the M1008 had was a 14FF/D60 and that the rear had a locker. 99% of them received 4.56 gears but I have seen one 1985 M1008 with 4.10s. I think it was an oddball. It had been put into duty on an airport.

Virtually all M1008s received an open front. I have never seen one with a locker in it. I am told they exist though.

I have, however, seen ambulance ones (M1010) with a clutch-type limited slip.

All M1028 (the ones with the shelter/communications box on the back) and M1031(cab & chassis) had a clutch-type limited-slip in the front.

#6 ·
I went to look at it again tonite, don't think it means anything, but the tag in the glovebox says base rear. I know trucks that have the locker/limited slip says locking rear differential, this one just says base rear, and doesn't give the ratio, and says military package on the last line of the tag. What I am guessing/hoping, is that it is an open rear, and a Detroit was stuffed in there for the military package. Hopefully soon I can talk to them and see what they are gonna do with the stupid thing, just sitting there rusting more.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.