14 bolt FF in a '75 Chevy van??? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Standard SFA Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized Solid Front Axle Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 08-10-2003, 08:20 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

14 bolt FF in a \'75 Chevy van???

A guy I work with was asking a bunch of questions. Says he's got a '75 Chevy van with a 14 blt FF. His description sounds correct. Was gonna put it in his Blaser. Made the mistake of telling himit was worth money if it is a 14 blt FF. Doesn't want it anymore, and told me to make him an offer.

Could it be true??? I already got a 14 blt Semi-floater. Would it be worth the headache to swap it??? A Detroit for $350 would be nice. Are there that many advantages for a weekend off roader to swap it??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 08-10-2003, 11:31 PM

Re: 14 bolt FF in a \'75 Chevy van???

Well if it's a van width FF then it will be the same track width as your front so you won't have the normal rearend narrower than the front end syndrome of GM trucks. The FF is superior in many ways, strength and no c-clips as well as the cheap locker.

Best Auto Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote
post #3 of (permalink) Old 08-11-2003, 12:53 AM
Carpal \'Tunnel

Yeah, but you'll have to move spring perches and shock mounts.

It is supposed to be about 3" wider to match the front axle but all this is relative. My 14FF out of a 3/4 ton 2wd Chevy is 1" wider WMS to WMS than my rear 10 bolt and 1 3/4" narrower than my front 10 bolt.

The problem I see with a 14FF is that you need 36" or bigger tires to clear what a 33" tire will on a 10 bolt. So unless you need the beef for the big tires then I don't see a point in it. Especially for the extra 200lbs or so.

My current plans as of right now is to buy a couple Lock Rights for my 10 bolts sometime this fall. Can't beat the price. However, I have a line on a 3/4 ton with 14SF/10 bolt, 350/SM465/NP205, and a plow for a decent price.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 08-11-2003, 01:02 AM

Yeah but a shaved 14 bolt with turned down ring gear and plated bottom can have more clearance than a 10 bolt [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

post #5 of (permalink) Old 08-11-2003, 10:19 AM
Carpal \'Tunnel

Yeah, yeah, yeah. haha.

Have you figured out how you're going to weld that 3/4" plate to the bottom and still be strong enough to handle a 3' drop?
post #6 of (permalink) Old 08-11-2003, 11:45 AM

Not going to be welded, going to be bolted with flush allen heads with an o-ring seal [img]images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]

post #7 of (permalink) Old 08-11-2003, 12:10 PM
ratlover

Your nucking futty Jason. Have you ever done anything that wasnt over kill? [img]images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img] [img]images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

What are you planning on doing with it? Is it just 35's? Fairly mild wheeling? Are you smart about the skinny pedal? Its JMO that you arnt picking up much if your not running agressive stuff. More beef and a 350 detroit is cool though.

post #8 of (permalink) Old 08-11-2003, 12:30 PM
Carpal \'Tunnel

How are you going to get the case strength back though? Fasteners will allow quite a lot of flexing. I figured that bottom piece of a 14 bolt took most of the stress (tension) of the vehicle. I'd be leary about a dropoff or something that produces a lot of instantaneous load. Other than that I don't see a problem because I'm sure the rest of the case can provide more than enough support.

I suppose if you made a killer differential cover then it'd be good to go.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 08-11-2003, 02:12 PM

Like this?

The cover will be bolted straight into the lower plate I'm putting in as well. Strength won't be an issue.

post #10 of (permalink) Old 08-11-2003, 06:41 PM
Carpal \'Tunnel

Yeah, exactly like that. Are you going to make a brace that goes from spring pad to spring pad over and bolted to the case? I've been contemplating this for my front axle because we all know 10 bolts like to break at the case on the long side axle tube.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode