rear bumper(custom) - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Standard SFA Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized Solid Front Axle Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 08-08-2003, 12:13 AM Thread Starter
Can't Get Enough

rear bumper(custom)

ok, I am trying to decide on how to make my rear bumber. Here are the first two drafts.
This was an initial shot at it, but it was too big and hung down too low(killed departure angle).
[img]http://groups.msn.com/_Secure/0QwDHAowUoL6x9jvFBW*FnyM29onwziTAWoDcMgofNJl40cBbw rySH8UODZTcTC58Ki1WLbBtVCEJ9Hzs*Qxslp5uuqfsJAtEn7o lNTN8EQc/bumper.JPG[/img]
This was what my wife came up with(much more creative and artistic than i am)
[img]http://groups.msn.com/_Secure/0RwDYAjYWRDGx9jvFBW*Fn8RvqzmAj8Vs3MYvq*uDm*SANn*7J 0xFYBT5!sxTBQPUt1Kuqmz4aVALr06B*VekRaRavRMUQwTmD8f xqlj67o4/bumperrear.JPG[/img]
I like this one a lot better, but am worried about the strength of the reciever. This truck might still pull a trailer near its max weight and i don't want it to rip apart the hitch while i am cruising down the road.
This is a top view, just imagine the thin lines as being as thick as the main tube.
[img]http://groups.msn.com/_Secure/0SgDQAokXOpCx9jvFBW*Fn269O0lbkMxsHi6lBDnCKsjelQO0m HzLx4eeZUbeiiOF34t8KSEvcwzeMIbjintKj!hDyAuMODj!06H FDz5KFgiBYuEB!lY1IQ/bumperreartop.JPG[/img]
If any one can come up with a better idea or improve upon our designs/ideas please feel free to post it here so i can get more ideas and maybe end up with a combination bumper using several different ideas combined. And the reason for the reciever being on the bottom of the lower tube instead of between the two is because of how high the truck is. I don't want to drag the ass-end of the trailer. And i don't want to get my self an Uber-Hitch made and have it stolen off my truck like another large truck owner around here(how you doing Jason [img]images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] ).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 08-08-2003, 08:12 AM
Carpal \'Tunnel

Re: rear bumper(custom)

Just make your bottom bar have a piece that goes and bolts in front of the rear spring hangers.

This way it'll get into the meat of the frame instead of just being on the frame tails. As long as you do this and keep the receiver as close to in the same plane as your frame it'll be only as weak as your welds. You weld a lot better than I do so I'd say you'll be good to go.

The problem with not going in front of the spring hangers is that you put all the weight on the tails and they do twist and flex quite a bit.

Of course, bolt it on with some 1" flat stock so you don't have pulled metal but you already knew that.

I kind of like my receiver hanging down. It makes it a lot easier on my spare tire. Usually my spare tire receives all the abuse of the trail (IE: holding the truck up so the tires aren't touching the ground) but now it is my receiver. It's a Reese one with the aluminum cap around the hole. I've peeled it off a couple times.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 08-09-2003, 11:57 PM

I like the second design better.. I don't see why it can't be done, you're just going to need to do some good bracing and gusseting.

With that much of a drop you might want to consider running braces off the hitch going to the frame near the spring hangers.

How do you plan on attaching it to the frame, I can't tell from the pics.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 08-10-2003, 04:31 PM Thread Starter
Can't Get Enough

I am not sure of how it is going to be attatched to the frame yet. I have a couple feet of frame that got chopped off when i shortenedthe truck and was considering using that, but it all depends on how the bumper turns out. My friend who is doing the welding for me gets back this week and hopefully in two weeks i can have this put together(have to do a roll cage first). He is really good at designing things like this so i will listen to his opinion on what to do for mounting and gussetting, just need an idea of how it the main part will look before we get into the brackets for mounting.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 08-12-2003, 02:59 PM

i really like my rear bumper, helps split trees that otherwise would take out that entire bed corner, it and the rock sliders are probably the best part of the truck..
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1167454-bumpah003.jpg (78.5 KB, 70 views)
post #6 of (permalink) Old 08-13-2003, 10:15 PM Thread Starter
Can't Get Enough

Is that 4" square? Looks good. If i had a real bed i wouldn't mind something like that. I ended up putting the old 10" drop bumper on so i can have somewhere to mount the lisence plate lights. Still going to work on a design for a different one though. I was kind of thinking of one like the HMMWV's use. It is a 2"X6"(maybe 8") Tube with sleeved holes where the bolts go through. I could cut out a portion of the tubing and mount a reciever in it. Still thinking it through.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 08-17-2003, 02:48 PM

yeah its 4" tube..
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1170459-bumpah002.jpg (25.6 KB, 36 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode