LOOK OUT...A few honest to gawd tech questions... - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Standard SFA Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized Solid Front Axle Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 08-05-2003, 07:05 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

LOOK OUT...A few honest to gawd tech questions...

The vehicle in question:

1978 Chev. Scottsdale C10
350 w/2bbl TH350 HEI Ignition

The ignition switch is kapooie, from the Run position it should push forward to Start, then roll back to the Run position. It doesn't, it kinda grinds forward from the Run, but not all the way (to Start) and there is no more springing back action that there used to be. Problem is I had to tow this thing outta the field and into a stackyard, one of our hands was out rolling bales with it and he said it just quit on him, yeah bull**** he broke something.[img]images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img]

Anyway I need to know on the ignition harness at the bottom of the steering column which wires to cross to start it and get it to the shop? Only wires in the bundle will be turn signals, hazard lights, ignition, and horn, there's no cruise control harness or anything else.I picked up the two ignition assemblies it could be at NAPA, and have all the parts, just need some electrical help. I tried crawling under it with the key in the run position and using a screwdriver on the starter to start it. No such luck, the starter spins but it won't come out and engage the flywheel. What gives? Do I need to connect more than one pole on the solenoid to a hot source?

Any advice on tearing into the column (when replacing ignition switch) will be appreciated as well. Clips to look out for, shims, anything that might be easily overlooked and cause me another headache. Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 08-05-2003, 07:30 PM

Re: LOOK OUT...A few honest to gawd tech questions...

Constant 12V+ Red
Starter Purple
Ignition Pink

PM Shaggy about the colum rebuild, he just recently did the one I sent him for his truck and he took alot of pics and such. He should have some good details. But you better pm him on ck5 cause he rarely comes here.

Best Auto Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote
post #3 of (permalink) Old 08-05-2003, 07:50 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

So that mean I jump the Red to the Purple with the key in the Run position?

btw, with the key in the Run position the fan works as does the few idiot lights. In other words, I know the switch isn't completely shot.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 08-05-2003, 08:34 PM

Connect Pink to Red and jump Purple to Red to bump the starter. But only do Pink to Red if the ign. switch is totally dead.

post #5 of (permalink) Old 08-05-2003, 08:53 PM
frankp

Isnt the ignition switch right at the base of the colum? Long wire going to it with a hook ont he end? Or did the government crack down on them for making it too easy to work on? Dam UAW lobbiest in washington I bet. Ohhh Mr. president its too easy to fix chevy ignitions we have to do something. So then the bastards off harvey earl for designing the thing. [img]images/graemlins/AR15firing.gif[/img] We wont go into the story of the guy that had the whole truck running off one wire. He met a very unfourtunate demise. Bastards ! [img]images/graemlins/thud.gif[/img]
post #6 of (permalink) Old 08-05-2003, 11:03 PM
Can't Get Enough

got a copy of the one wire schematic laying around? It would help a bit when converitng from carb to efi. [img]images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
post #7 of (permalink) Old 08-06-2003, 12:30 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Okay, after the short stint in the swather before it started raining, I got 'er hot wired. It's back at the shop now. Thank you Jason. No, the switch wasn't totally dead, so it worked in the Run position. I made a little hot wiring cable (peice of wire with a small diameter nail electrical taped to both ends) stuck one in the purple, then reached over and touched the hot Red wire on the light switch, vrooom[img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img][img]images/graemlins/burnout.gif[/img]
post #8 of (permalink) Old 08-06-2003, 12:45 AM

I can see the posts now:

"Jason, umm, I uh, broke my key off in the ign. in my 2003 vette and it's parked, umm, in my, uh, neighbors driveway, how would I go about getting in the car and hot wiring it? No no, I swear it's my car! I just, umm, uh, lost my spare keys... And uh, the other key is like stuck and stuff... Yeah thats it."

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode