Radiator Flush - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Standard SFA Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized Solid Front Axle Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 08-03-2003, 01:56 PM Thread Starter

Radiator Flush

What would be the most effective way to perform a radiator flush. My truck has always ran hot and I want to do something about it before I leave for college. My friend sugusted mixing in a small about of acid in with the water i flush it out with. I have some Muric(i think thats what it is called)Acid that is mixed 24 parts water to 1 part acid for safe usage. Would Acid hurt my radiator? I used it to remove rust and other grime from my chrome bumpers and it worked well for that.
Secondly when i refill is it a gallon of antifreeze/coolant to a gallon of water?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 08-03-2003, 02:49 PM
Can't Get Enough

Re: Radiator Flush

You can buy radiator flush at Walmart, Autozone, etc... It's only a few bucks, and has easy to follow instructions. Plus, its made for radiators. I'd use that before I'd use some acid I had laying around.
The weather where you're at should dictate the mixture you use. Standard mix is 50/50, some say 60 antifreeze/40 water. And if it gets hella cold, you can go 70/30.
If you're going to go through the trouble of flushing the system, check all of the hoses too. You may also want to change out your thermostat.
Hope this helps you.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 08-04-2003, 02:53 PM
ratlover

I tried the prestone stuff and follower the directions.....it didnt seem to work to well. Still all kinds of calcium garbage in there. Got it at wally world I believe. Might wana try a different brand.

Verify that the gauge is reading on before you get worried about a problem. JMO
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 08-04-2003, 06:43 PM
Carpal \'Tunnel

I tried all of them. They sucketh. All they did was make the copper shiny. I wanted the calcium and crud gone.

I'm too chicken to try acid. We've got both nitric and phosphoric acid and they sure do eliminate rust but I think it'd eat a hole in my antique radiator.

CLR seemed to do a lot better than the flushes. The radiator hasn't started leaking yet and that was five months ago.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 08-04-2003, 10:16 PM
Enthusiast

Take this for what it might be worth (3 cents?), but if you use a chemical flush, it would be a good idea to replace the water pump and thermostat. Some of the chemicals can break down the bearing surfaces of the water pump and I imagine that the same chemicals would not do parts of the thermostat any good either. I know people that use about 3 of those Prestone and Gunk flushes at a time, but I don't have the guts. I have attached a water back flush kit and I use that whenever it looks nasty.

Jim
post #6 of (permalink) Old 08-18-2003, 05:42 PM
Aprentice

Watch out if you use acid. My dad did that to my mom's mustang once and it ate out the heater core.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 08-19-2003, 10:24 AM

It's kind of a pain to do, but if you pull the radiator you can brink it to a radiator shop and have them boil it clean in a chemical bath. Around here it's about 50 bucks, so it's only worth it if your radiator is expensive. On my Toyota pickup, it was just easier to get a new one (110 bucks) and it completely ended 3 years of cooling problems.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 08-19-2003, 01:30 PM
joblope

On my truck, I took the radiator to a radiator shop and they pressure flushed it for $20. What was cool was that they could measure flow before and after the flush. I think it helped cool my truck too.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 08-20-2003, 12:10 AM

I know pepboys does flushes, but you could call them and ask what the best way to do a home-flush would be.

What I'm wondering, is there like a drain plug or something for the flush? Or do you just disconnect a hose at the end of the cycle, and pour it out there?

:-\
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode