Exhaust system upgrade/cleanup - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Standard SFA Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized Solid Front Axle Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 08-03-2003, 12:41 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Exhaust system upgrade/cleanup

I am in the process of researching an exhaust system upgrade and looking into some of the shorty headers with dual pipe setups. I was looking to see what some of you other guys may have done (brands and such). I got to keep legal now since my county went to doing emissions tests. I also wanted to see if anyone had ditched any of the hundred or so emissions components and what success they may have had with testing. I've got a 1986 Burb with 350 and the stock rebuilt 4bbl. Thanks for the help
Steve
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 08-03-2003, 01:00 PM
Carpal \'Tunnel

Re: Exhaust system upgrade/cleanup

I have Hooker headers and their plumbing kit. I have zero emissions except the vapor collection system which has been limited to only sucking vapor out of the gas tank (not from the air cleaner like they do stock).

In other words, I have a non-APT quadrajet, no ESC, no AIR, no catalytic converters, no EGR... blah blah blah. If it's not essential it has been eliminated including the various temperature-controlled vacuum switches for the AIR, EGR, and torque converter lockup. Some things, like the vapor collection system, have no business being removed.

Would it pass emissions? Probably, depending on how stringent they are. There is no way it'd pass if it required you to do it with a cold motor. Would it pass visual inspection? No freaking way.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 08-03-2003, 02:52 PM
Can't Get Enough

Re: Exhaust system upgrade/cleanup

Before you start pulling anything off, check out the emissions laws really good. It would suck to pull of the AIR, or EGR, only to find out you cannot pass a smog check without it.
I believe it is illegal to remove your catalytic converter regardless of where you live. If you didn't have emissions checks, you could probably get away with it.
My exhaust is stock for now. I envision some type of headers, 3" pipes and high flow converter and muffler in the distant future.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode