got a couple more things - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Standard SFA Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized Solid Front Axle Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 08-02-2003, 03:49 PM Thread Starter
Can't Get Enough

got a couple more things

I picked up a steering column today. Only paid $75 for it and it has a new key with the key code for getting copies made without the key. I now have no tilt. It does not have the cruise control controls so this works out since i removed all of the cruise wiring and hookups.
Yesterday I ordered a weld in frame repair kit from ORD to fix the 3-4" crack on the rear bottom steering box bolt hole. I will get the other brace a little later.
Now we will see how much i cuss at the truck swapping out the columns.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 08-02-2003, 04:05 PM
frankp

Re: got a couple more things

I used that weld in brace and it did not work well at all. I thought there was a bolt in one that ran a cross brace somehow? Been a while since I did that. Here is were mine was cracked.

Crack kills
post #3 of (permalink) Old 08-03-2003, 12:34 AM
Resurrection_Joe

Damnm glad I got around to getting a brace for mine...

Where your frames cracked on the bottom, it doesnt look like any weld in brace I've seen would help that, being at the very edge
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 08-03-2003, 12:58 AM
frankp

You know you need a frame brace when?

-your truck stops turning left.
-your truck changes lanes at random
-your truck makes popping noises while makeing the left that it wont do.
-your trucks steering box moves instead of the steering arm.

[img]images/graemlins/spank.gif[/img]
post #5 of (permalink) Old 08-03-2003, 08:06 AM
Can't Get Enough

I swapped my column about a year ago. Its not too difficult. There's four bolts holding it to the dash, a plate with two bolts that seperates the engine compartment and the cab, and the bolts that hold it to the steering box.
The only hitch I had was the backup light switch. It is adjustable, and I accidentally moved it so my b/u lights wouldn't work. Once I figured out what the problem was, it only took 2 minutes to fix.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 08-03-2003, 02:59 PM Thread Starter
Can't Get Enough

This is here mine is cracked.
[img]http://groups.msn.com/_Secure/0SgDUApYWH1KKoqCsToGt*40zFPnPLmJWnpXOsyDSZX*E3O1kL XT6Uj7vkFqdLG6K5MlDPwwqUk4tYrVom8yv7GSjAj!3yEuNHFB mfcKfhvZn2k1U*HyRtQ/frame%20crack.JPG[/img]
I plan on getting the bolt in brace you are thinking of as well, but it will have to wait until the first of next month.

Together they are supposed to do a good job keeping the frame from destraoying itself more. he weld in alone is just a quick fix I guess while the bolt on relieves a lot of the pressure directed atthe steering box. I hope on installing a hydraulic assist to allieviate more of that stress.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 08-03-2003, 03:04 PM Thread Starter
Can't Get Enough

I gott he column in yesterday. It took a few hours because i looked at something wrong. The actual ignition switch(down low on the column, not where you turn the key) was backwords on the new one. I looked at it and didn't notice that it was reversed in the bracket. I replaced it with the one on my old column. When i turned the key to test it the thing was backwords. I took an hour trying to swap brackets and switches when it was right to begin with. [img]images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img] I told you i would be cussing atthe damn thing. I haven't checked to see if the bak ups work yet, but i'll look into that this afternoon. Everything else worked fine though. And the non-tilt is awesome!! No more jiggly steering wheel!
post #8 of (permalink) Old 08-03-2003, 08:10 PM
frankp

You call that a crack ! [img]images/graemlins/lame.jpg[/img] I think they come from the factory like that! My brace was the procomp I looked. it was $56????
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode