Just got a k5, need wiring help - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Standard SFA Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized Solid Front Axle Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 07-31-2003, 05:26 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Just got a k5, need wiring help

Heres the backgroud, I work at a dollarauto.com I buy cars from auctions and resell them. But i recently bought a 82 k5 with a new 350 in it and new tranny for 500 dollars. 6" pro comp lift, Edelbrock headers,heads,carb,manfold, comp cam, etc. All that good stuff. Now here is the problem whoever owned it before i bought it did all the wiring themselfs. Not good either. One long wire to the fuel pump has 3 different colored wires just twist tied on. I need a pic of diagram of the engine bay so i can redo the wiring. My problem i am running into now is i can get it started but it turns off after 10 seconds or so. The wiring to the starter is worse than the fuel pump. I know this car runs because i test drove it but day of the auction someone messed with it. Unhooked all the wiring, stole the valve covers, air filter, grille [img]images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] Anyway if anyone could please help me
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 07-31-2003, 06:50 PM
Can't Get Enough

Re: Just got a k5, need wiring help

I don't have a diagram for you, but if you're planning on keeping it, I'd consider getting a new harness for it. Check out painlessperformance.com
I haven't used their products myself, but know someone who has, and only has good things to say about it.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 07-31-2003, 08:06 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Yeah thats what i was looking into. I just want this truck for a work truck as of right now. But the tranny is either going out or no fluid because of a leak. I am going to look at it tomarrow. I have a 72 chevelle coming to me later this week that i am restoring. I just wanted another car to have fun in while i restore this car
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 07-31-2003, 09:33 PM
frankp

Get a subscrition to Alldata the wiring diagrams are online as well as lots of other things. I buy them for all my vehicles. Better than chilton, a little less detailed than a full shop manual.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 08-01-2003, 10:47 AM
Blazer1970

If it is an '82 and it has an electric fuel pump, the stock wiring diagrams aren't going to help you a whole lot.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 08-01-2003, 12:06 PM
Carpal \'Tunnel

It didn't come with an electric fuel pump in 1982. It needs to have a relay to run one. Someone stupid might run the electric fuel pump off the choke wire.

There is only one wire that goes to the starter from the ignition switch and it goes to the solenoid. The rest go to the battery, alternator, and main power take off to the fuse block.

The wiring is dirt simple on these trucks so either redo it yourself or go get a harness out of the junkyard. I recommend obtaining both a Haynes and Chilton manual to ease the repair. The diagram is several pages long because it includes the ESC junk which you probably don't have anymore.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 08-01-2003, 05:22 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I just want to see what a normal one would be like, I know its simple but this guy was a moron. He has so many wires that are just dead ends or not connected, and like i said there is one wire that is made up of 3 different wires. So i am looking just for a pic or something to help me along. I am use to working on a 94 s-10. My other question is what tranny should i put in? I think mine is pretty well shot and i work at a tow truck company so i can pull any tranny out of any car i want [img]images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode