Wheel width question....as well as opinion wanted. - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Standard SFA Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized Solid Front Axle Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 07-29-2003, 03:05 PM
SHOTGUN

Wheel width question....as well as opinion wanted.

I order some US Wheels from Tyres International last week and they sent me the wrong wheels [img]images/graemlins/cussing.gif[/img]

I order the 70 Series White Spoke 15x10 8-on-6.5. What I recieved was 15x8 8-on-6.5. [img]images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img]

I didn't notice this till this weekend cause I had them shipped to my mothers work and my father just unloaded them when she got home, and I had several things going on this weekend. Well a call to Tyres today revealed that I would have to pay 1/2 return shipping for the wheels and the difference between the 2 sets and they would cover shipping the new set to me. I think they should have to pay the full shipping for their screw up but doesn't look like its gonna happen.

Anyhow now that I have that out in the air.....there isn't a considerable amount of difference in a 35x12.50xR15 mounted on a 15x8 that a 35 " " " mounted on a 15x10 is there? I was really wanting the wide footprint with this setup, but if its not going to sacrafice much then I will just let it go. I've heard that its only a inch or two difference in the past but cannot remember.

That is the reason for this post so please do not flame me for asking your personal opinions as well as thoughts on what I should do.

Thanks
Mark
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 07-29-2003, 03:32 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Re: Wheel width question....as well as opinion wanted.

it will mess with the wear of your tires and mess you up even more if you are ever going to air them down.

also on the 8" wide your tire ballons out more and on the 10" is sits wide and looks normal.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 07-29-2003, 04:43 PM
Can't Get Enough

I would probably send them back for 10" wide ones. With an 8" rim, the tires would bulge out too much. If you were going to run 10.50" wide tires, 8" rims would be good.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 07-29-2003, 05:03 PM
Carpal \'Tunnel

I take it they charged you the 15x8 price? If they charged you the 15x10 price, then they have to pay for shipping both ways in most states. What did the invoice say?

Otherwise they don't have to even though it is in their best interest to do so.

I mean, honestly, all you have to do is tell them you have no problem paying the price difference between the two sets of wheels but. Then you merely tell them that you'll no longer do business with them and will never recommend anyone do business with them you know. I've noticed that both them and Tire Rack have started dropping tire lines to try to decrease overhead and make more profit. As it is, anything Tyres International has that someone else has you can get it at that other place cheaper. Who knows, maybe you were getting a deal.

How much backspacing did you get? 4"?

As far as fitment goes, there's nothing really wrong with running an 8" wheel with a 12.50 section width tire. It does dome the tire a little bit. It'll make it easier to clear the wheelwells because the center of the tire won't be as far out. It'll turn a little sharper. You can air down the tires further without the worry of losing a bead.

However, you won't have the wide stance. The tires will wear better with fewer rotations on 10" wide wheels (less doming). They'll be less likely to roll over under hard cornering. They'll have their full contact patch. Without airing down they'll better conform to the terrain.

I've run both on 33x12.50r15s. The main problem I have had with the 15x10s is that when I'd go play in areas where I'd get a lot of side load I'd get tree roots, gravel, and rocks between the sidewall and the rim. We're talking about sliding down hills sideways and sliding down an incline sideways into a rut... et cetera. I've had to break down two of my tires to get crap out of there before.

If I had the choice, I've never choose an 8" wheel for anything but sand. You can run 12psi no problem on an 8" wheel and get a nice cup in the tire. You actually have a better chance of spinning the wheel in the tire than losing a bead.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 07-30-2003, 12:06 AM
SHOTGUN

I'm going to call and ask to speak the manager/supervisor or whoever. I told the guy today that I had no problem paying the difference, but was tight on money and honestly just about couldn't afford the return shipping because I'd fried the clutch in my daily driver (Ram) and these wheels were just for my playtoy.

I'm going to go about it the way you suggested Wrath. Tell them that I'll never do business with them again, and I am affliated with several internet 4x4 sites and will make sure everyone knows about my ordeal.

We'll see what tomorrow brings. [img]images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]
post #6 of (permalink) Old 07-30-2003, 10:09 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I am curious here. I have been a hard core Jeep guy for the last 14 years. I recently bought a Burb to have a trail rig and hotel suite in one :-). Anyway I have owned XJ's, CJ's, TJ's, Wagoneers and Cherokee's. I have run 35's on the XJ, Wagoneer and TJ (and 33's on the rest), and I have always used 8" rims. Most of the Jeepers do the same. Only occasionally did I see a Wag or CJ with 10" rims. The 8" don't pull the tire in so much to cause uneven wear or a bulge in my experience.
Just thought I would see why opinions differed so much from Jeepers to GM'ers. Lots of guys even run 38" with 8". Is this 15x10 thing really related more to achiving the wider spread on the tire? I am looking forward to your opinion since 35's are in the near future for me on the Burb and I want to do it right the first time.
FYI - I am not trying to start a Jeep vs Chevy thing, just clarifing the use according to the vehicle.
Thanks
Steve
post #7 of (permalink) Old 07-31-2003, 12:03 AM
Carpal \'Tunnel

I'll take some pictures of my domed 33 MTs on 15x10s tomorrow. I didn't rotate them because if I did with no lift they'd rub something fierce on the fenders. In other words, the square corners because the drive tires weren't domed would rub on the front fenders. I've had them on about 200 miles and they're just now starting to flatten out.

I'll take some pictures of my constantly rotated 33 ATs as well. Maybe I'll take some pictures of my 31x10.50s on 15x8s.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with running 8" wide wheels on 12.50 section width tires. In fact, it's actually a lot easier to get away with if you have more sidewall. Stick a 31x12.50 tire on a 15x8 and it looks really bad.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 07-31-2003, 04:27 PM
Carpal \'Tunnel

OK, I have just over 400 miles with the tires in this configuration. When I first got them (around 2,000 miles ago) they had no domes in them. I kept running them in the same configuration because that way the tires wouldn't have square edges and would rub on my fenders less. The dome is slowly coming out of the rear ones and the front ones are slowly gaining it. I drive pretty hard so my tires do get a lot of abuse. I don't have pictures of my street 33s or my 31s. They don't have much of a dome though because they get/got rotated every 2,000 miles or so.

Domed:

Not domed:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode