Not so beaterchevy - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Standard SFA Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized Solid Front Axle Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 07-28-2003, 12:32 AM Thread Starter

Not so beaterchevy

Well, I'm back and I am looking for advice from the old guru's at orc on the new incarnation of the beaterchevy.

This shackle angle worries me, and I was wondering what you guys recommend I do to ensure that the final angle is where I want it.

Springs are custom, I asked for flex and about a 5", and its sitting at what seems to be ~10" right now.. no weight except the frame on the springs obviously, but that is what brings me here. Do you guys expect that the couple thousands pounds of weight that will be on that front axle will bring the shackle angle back past vertical and bring down the lift enough?

I'm hoping that with all the weight on it the front arch of the spring will flatten out quite a bit pushing the diff back towards being in its orignal position and cause the shackle to tilt back.. but I really don't know..

Specs will be 350 on propane/465/???-205 doubler.. shaved, welded, and disc braked 14bolt (done), posi D44, 3.73 gears, Q78L16 swampers, front/rear recievers, multimount 8274.

82 frame, 76 cab, 78 clip, and logger box.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 07-28-2003, 02:23 AM
Resurrection_Joe

Re: Not so beaterchevy

Can't say I'm an expert, but.....

Taking the box off mine made the rear rise an inch or so

Anyway, I think the front springs are in a state of static droop with no weight, and your springs look like those that are drooping. If the shackle doesn't straighten out, you can always change the frame side mounting hole, it's a bitch to run a sleeve, or so Chris D says (forgot his last name, talk to him a bit online)

Anyway plans sound great, I've always respected you as a stocker wheeler and you did amazing things, and inspired me to keep the tire size at a reasonable limit

Try and stay around the ORC bbs, I love CK5 and go there much more often then here, but this place is where I started, and I know feel I want it to coem alive again, gonna start the Members Of the Old Dominion, all the old guys come back and banter pointlessly. YAY!

PLEASE KEEP ME UPDATED!!!
post #3 of (permalink) Old 07-28-2003, 07:21 AM
Carpal \'Tunnel

I think you'll probably be alright. My five leaf 4" BDS springs compressed 3.75" after my truck sat on them for a couple days and I still gained around 4.5" of lift. My shackles weren't pointed quite that far forward though.

I now have about the same arch in the front and rear but the front end is very stiff. I'll have to go look but I'm pretty sure my shackles are still pointed a little bit forward which is alright because the other day when I tried to get my left front to kiss the fenderwell the eye of the spring was fast approaching the frame. I couldn't find a rock or log big enough at the time to see if I could make it hit or not because the rear kept flexing instead of the front.

Let us know what you come up with, I'd like to see some pictures of it done. It's going to be so pretty you won't want to wheel it. hehe.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 07-28-2003, 10:37 AM
ratlover

Try puting some weight on it and seeing what happens.....no way to see how much the springs will sag with all the variables IMO.

using a container and adding water to it(since you can figure weight by gallons might be a way to do it if you can rig up way to fix a peice of solid weight to it.

With some mesurements and figuring you should easily be able to determin what angle the shackel will be at for how much sag you put on it. Then its a matter to see if you get enough sag

Or put the truck together and see what happens

*I make no garentee that my ramblings/ideas will work or even make sense-use at your own risk*

Nice to see you back here [img]images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
post #5 of (permalink) Old 07-28-2003, 08:40 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the replies guys, this was the place I started too so I figured I'd come back for a bit..

Ya the water trick would work good because you could probably measure the spring deflection with respect to the added water weight and get a line or a curve that would let ya guess at what the final numbers would be..

That being said it sounds like it would take some time, and I never seem to have enough of that. Been working on the truck now for over 2 months and all it seems that I haven't got much done on the damn truck at all..

Me thinks this is gonna be a longer endevour than I orignaly expected..

And Wrath, it should be nice and perty when its done, but one solid wheeling trip should cure that quickly [img]images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
post #6 of (permalink) Old 07-31-2003, 11:36 PM
Can't Get Enough

completely off subject, but could you e-mail me or post some more detailed pics of your front bumper? I like how that loooks and need something that will keep me frome having my frame bent up again. and i like the reciever in it as well.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 08-05-2003, 09:03 PM Thread Starter

Well, unfortunately this bumper was made somewhat on the fly, otherwise I'd have a nice 3d model and drawing for it.. but anyways..

The body is 5x2x.188 (Was supposed to be 6x2x.188 but the steel man gave me the wrong crap and I didn't have time to get back out to him so I changed things to work with the 5" section)

I used 3x2x.188 to slide inside the frames (if I did it again I would of went with 4x2x.188

The reciever tube is actuall spec'd as reciever tube.. i believe it was 2.5x2.5x.214 or something like that.. (wasn't cheap ~13$/ft)..

Gussets are all 1/8" Plate

Wrap around chunks are 1.5x1.5x0.25

I don't have many detailed pictures of it, but if you tell me what you want pics of, or dimensions of I'd be glad to dig them up for you.

FYI it was made such that the top face of the bumper will be flush plus flex clearance on the lower face of the rad support - i.e. the front fender horns need to be trimmed all the way up till you hit the major x-member of the rad support.

I'll see if I can borrow a digicam from work or something and get some good pics of how everything was joined together.

[img]images/graemlins/40BEER.gif[/img]
post #8 of (permalink) Old 08-24-2003, 02:21 PM
Can't Get Enough

I know it has been a while, but I was wondering if you could post a couple pics of how you mounted the bumper to the frame.
</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
I used 3x2x.188 to slide inside the frames (if I did it again I would of went with 4x2x.188

[/ QUOTE ]

Not sure if i understand this(or if this is even refering to that).
Did you have the hole cut out for the reciever by someone, or just torch it yourself?
Thakns, Ryan
post #9 of (permalink) Old 08-27-2003, 12:53 AM Thread Starter

I'll try and get you some pics soon, I need to borrow a digicam as my film turn around time is pretty slow usually.

There is a piece of 3x2 running inside the frame rails on either side. the 3x2"HSS is welded sraight to the 5x2"HSS with the top face of the 3x2 about 2.5 down from the top face of the main 5x2 - i.e there's 1/2" off 3x2 hanging out bellow the main beam.

Then each 3x2 is gusseted with a piece of plate approx 5x12x0.188 from the bottom inside edge of the 3x2 to the bottom edge of the reciever tube.

sorta like this
[]
{[]/ \[]}

with { &amp; } being the frame rails.

Then the hole thing is bolted up to the frame using 6 gr8 bolts per side to try and spread the load out on as much frame as possible.

I plan to add some beef to the spring hanger portion and maybe another frame brace off the top of the hanger.

I would have used the 4x2HSS as it would have allowed me to grab all 4 of the stock holes for the front rad mount brackets, the 3x2 didn't cut it.. Further, the steel guy gave me a 5x2 instead of the 6x2 i wanted hence the 1/2" gap - this was not a very well planned bumper build.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode