2wd->4wd convert for heavy towing - SFA or IFS? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Standard SFA Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized Solid Front Axle Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 07-25-2003, 10:09 AM
James2d

2wd->4wd convert for heavy towing - SFA or IFS?

I just posted this on the IFS board as well, thought folks who hang in the SFA forums might also have some opinions...

I'm looking at converting a 2wd 1989 Chevy C3500 reg cab 454/T400 dually. I use it to occassionally tow my 32' race trailer, which fully loaded, I guess is about 9-10,000 lbs. I have also been using it for a daily driver, putting a 250 mile round trip every weekend + daily driving.

Ideally, I'd go out and buy a new duramax/allison crew cab K3500, but I don't have an extra $45k lying around. I'm thinking I'd like to do a conversion because this past winter it would have been nice to have a 4wd and not get stuck in the snow all the time. This was my first winter with this truck since I shipped it north from a warmer climate.

I'm not sure if I should go with an IFS conversion, or if that's even possible, or use something like the ORU 2wd SFA conversion kit (coming soon?). Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 07-27-2003, 11:24 PM
Resurrection_Joe

Re: 2wd->4wd convert for heavy towing - SFA or IFS?

Let me start by saying I only know an inkling of what all of this swapping involves but heres some basic things I can tell you

IFS is pretty complicated, plus it's not to great off road, I THINK it would be hard to put 4wd IFS in, but what do I know, though, if you're going to bother swapping, go with a nice SA

I assume a T case from a pre 88 chevy TH400 4x4 truck will bolt to yours, and is so, you may just want to find a beat 4x4 truck with a TH400, then you can use the front axle, T case, drivelines (maybe), and springs, all you'd need was the braketry and some fabbing to hold the T case in, plus most likely some exhaust work

Lastly, any store bought kit is going to be rediculously expensive, I think I've heard of a few home fabbers making them, I'm sure Wills will eventually in his quest for fabbergoddom, try and find an alternative to the $1000+ kits, but now that I think of it, would the kits even fit a 2wd?

Anyway.... good luck

post #3 of (permalink) Old 07-28-2003, 08:47 AM

Re: 2wd->4wd convert for heavy towing - SFA or IFS?

ORU"s kits are 750. And they are coming out with a 2wd kit but don't hold your breath on any time soon... If you have the time to have your truck dissasembled then I would just fab my own, but if you want to bolt it together in a weekend then wait for brackets to come out. The 2wd's are hard due to the engine crossmember being right where the axle goes. So if you have any up travel at all kablamo. So you either have to run gobs of lift or rebuild the crossmember.

Best Auto Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode