I just had to gloat - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Standard SFA Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized Solid Front Axle Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 07-21-2003, 08:56 AM Thread Starter
Carpal \'Tunnel

I just had to gloat

It is so nice to be able to hose your brakes out without pulling the drums.

It is also nice to be able to go through 18" of water and not even touch the ROCKERS.

I just have a slight overheating problem. Second gear, in low range, pushing 3,000rpm on a 80 day is just plain a bad idea. The rocks rob some serious horsepower. I aired down to 18lbs and it floated great on sand but those rocks just beat the crap out of the little 305. It wasn't until you were going almost 20mph that it'd float and at that speed it gets squirly easy and Lake Superior is mighty cold.

Standing next to the water with my truck in all its overheated glory:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 07-21-2003, 10:57 PM
87sm465np208

Re: I just had to gloat

try a air damn [img]images/graemlins/spank.gif[/img]
post #3 of (permalink) Old 07-21-2003, 11:44 PM

you could go rob a couple of electric fans off a couple of Buick Le Sabres or somethin and fab up some brackets, that would prolly keep it cooler
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 07-22-2003, 12:17 AM Thread Starter
Carpal \'Tunnel

I haven't found any LeSabre fans. Those supercharged ones probably have good fans in them but they're already gone. I have a bunch (read 4) of those fans they put in Cutlass Cieras, Citations, Pontiac 6000s, et cetera. They're too big to fit two of them on my narrow radiator even if I cut them down. If I cut them down a lot I'll have virtually no shroud left. They only draw around 8amps and they move a BOATLOAD of air. Just not enough air for my clogged 2 core radiator when I'm running at high RPMs.

After a while the underhood temperatures get so hot the fuel boils in the line and she's done.

The Windstar fans have already been taken. There is only two V8 Thunderbirds out there and both have had everything under the hood taken.

The Lumina fans have been taken or broken too. Luminas have dual shroudless fans.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 07-22-2003, 01:00 AM
Way Outta Control

Sounds like you've already identified the cure, anything else is a band-aid.

"clogged 2 core radiator."
post #6 of (permalink) Old 07-22-2003, 07:20 AM Thread Starter
Carpal \'Tunnel

Yeap, bandaid fix for a broken leg. A standard 3 core radiator for my truck is $140 and if I'm going to pay that much for a radiator I'm going to spend $180 for an aluminum 2 row.

It's a lot more inexpensive to buy electric fans from the junkyard for $10 apiece and then fabricate something up to mount them. The radiator is more than sufficient to cool the truck to 170 under hard street driving and as long as I keep below 1500rpm when crawling along out in the woods the thermostat actually has to close once in a while. It's just once she gets around 240 the gas starts to boil. She never really gets hotter than 240 which most people think is alright for a motor. I consider 230 overheating.

If you've got a suggestion as to what I can get a radiator out of that'll fit my truck I'm all ears.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 07-22-2003, 05:06 PM

Go get a Radiator out of a 6.2 truck, they are the biggest you can get to fit stock, hell you could prolly get a old truck with one for as cheap as a new one
post #8 of (permalink) Old 07-22-2003, 05:34 PM Thread Starter
Carpal \'Tunnel

I want to but they're all gone. There's probably 35 trucks/blazers/suburbans of our generation in the junkyard. 3 or 4 are diesels. Not a single 73-87 has a radiator in it, or at least one that holds coolant. The wider radiator (35" isn't it?) would require me to relocate my charcoal canister and my coolant reservoir even if I could find one.

I brought my Dad's radiator book with me and I'll see what I can use. There's a couple vans in there with nearly brand new radiators but I don't think they'll fit because they're not tall enough.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 07-22-2003, 05:44 PM
Way Outta Control

Contrary to sales hype - yes a 2 row aluminum radiator cools a little better than a standard 2 row - by maybe 10%.
A standard 3 row cools far far better.
A standard 4 row cools even better yet.
Part of the cooling is the volume.
As long as you have the room and a few extra ounces aren't going to cost you the checkered flag, stay away from the aluminum.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 07-23-2003, 12:44 AM Thread Starter
Carpal \'Tunnel

Every review I've read in a magazine says that a 2 row universal aluminum radiator out of Summit moves more heat than a generic 3 core standard radiator. However, it can't hold a candle to a 4 core. But a non-standard 3 core will cool better than a 4 core with everything squished together. Most of the cooling in a system depends on how fast it can get the heat out of the water. The more surface area of the water the faster it cools and the more turbulant the water the faster it cools. If you pump the water through the radiator too fast you can actually decrease cooling efficiency.

The end result is I'm looking for an expensive radiator. I don't want to recore mine. I don't even need a built in ATF cooler because I don't believe in them. I bet even a 2 core standard copper radiator will do the job. Since I only run distilled water I won't have the calcium in my radiator I do now.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode