I'm going to post part numbers and stuff later in a reply.
Well, I finally got around to it. It took a week and a half between rebuilding the 3.42 axles, bolting on the springs and shackle flip, putting the axles under the truck, doing a rear disc conversion, and mounting my 2" receiver on the back.
I think we spent five days disassembling the truck and then rebuilding the axles. They were pretty much junk. The inner seals in the front axle (the ones next to the carrier bearings) were toast and no one could get them but the dealership and they ordered the wrong ones the first time. The universals in the axleshafts had rustdust for bearings. Most every seal in the front end except two itsy bitsy ones on the inside of the spindles got replaced. The front end also got all new balljoints and I didn't even keep any of the old ones for spares because they were completely junk.
The rear axle was a piece of crap. Some of you might remember the junk carrier. Well, the axleshafts were pitted beyond belief. And the axle tube bearings had been spun in the axle tubes (and welded) so I got to cut them out with the dremel tool. It needed new pinion bearings but since it didn't need a seal I didn't replace them.
Anyway, I put the used 4" BDS springs under the front and assembled and hung the front axle while my Dad ground and cut the rear axle rear hanger braces to fit the front hangers off my 77C20. That netted the 4" of lift in the rear and a pinion pointed at the sky. Finding U-bolts for the front was a chore and cost me $40 at CarQuest.
The front brake lines I chose were off a 94 2wd 1 ton's right front. The left front costs more and has a metal bracket on it to connect to something. They're plenty long. The drop hose for the rear is that Napa part number that has been floating around the forums for a long time.
After chasing down the proper rotors for the rear (which consist of the stamped steel center standard cab long box IFS rotors as opposed to the cast centers) and returning a junk remanufactured caliper I started on the rear disc conversion. It consisted of a 3.5" hole saw to drill out the rotors, modified #52 pads, 80s metric banjo bolt calipers (half ton or car, 3/4 ton have same mounting but different pistons and bodies from my research), early to mid eighties A-body front brake hoses (I chose 86 Monte Carlo), and backing plates from a 70s or 80s 6-lug front axle.
The front end got the shocks off the back of my truck. They were mounted where the auxilary shocks go on a quad shock truck. They're 23" long. The rear end got some shocks that are 27" long but I don't remember what they fit.
It doesn't look like it is lifted that much but its a little over 4" taller and yes the tires now look small. It's high enough where I have to climb in instead of just getting a buttcheek on the seat and sliding in. It's really hard not to use the steering wheel or the door to lift yourself in.
I went to Boston Pond to take some pictures and found that a lot of construction was going on. I was going to try to climb some of the bigger rocks but I didn't want to make a fool of myself with all the people on breakfast break watching me. Therefore you got some pathetic flex pictures. Yeah, I'm a wannabe Drey. On short people like me (5'11") the rocker is at crotch height.
The rest of the pictures are here: