84' 305 :URGENT: - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Standard SFA Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized Solid Front Axle Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 07-14-2003, 04:52 PM Thread Starter

84\' 305 :URGENT:

My friend just did a tune up on his firebird and it was missing like mad. So i went through the wires on the cap and they were out of sequence I have this pcture of how the wires are on the cap. Is this sequence corect. It will not even start now if any other ideas of why it wont start. By the way we just did cap/rotor and plugs not wires, just another question how are the cylinders arranged on each bank as in where is cyl. 1,2,3,4 and so on
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 07-14-2003, 06:42 PM

Re: 84\' 305 :URGENT:

#1 is the drivers side front of the engine, #2 is pass. side front, #3 is second one back from front on drivers side, etc. So the drivers side of the engine from front to back is #1, #3, #5, and #7. And pass side from front to back is #2, #4, #6, and #8.

Bring the #1 piston up to TDC firing (by pulling #1 plug and sticking finger over hole and bumping engine over till your finger is blown off) and stick that cylinders wire on whatever dist. plug the rotor is pointing at. Then just go around the dist in direction of spin hooking each one to the proper cylinder based on the firing order.

1-8-7-2-6-5-4-3

Looks like you have 7 and 2 mixed with 4 and 3

Best Auto Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote
post #3 of (permalink) Old 07-14-2003, 11:03 PM
Addict

sorry to pee in your wheaties willy but the order IS 18436572
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 07-15-2003, 12:13 AM

Dwa? Hmm, I just went off my 327 intake manifold sitting next to me... But yeah the rest of my info is good at least [img]images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img] Damn swap meet manifold...

Best Auto Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote
post #5 of (permalink) Old 07-15-2003, 02:13 AM Thread Starter

I don't know why it didn't work because isn't the #1 cyl. marked on the cap. I took the terminal that said 1 on it and hooked cyl 1 to it. But this is how it ended up working. It runs just fine, no misses or backfiring any more. Thanks for the replys though.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1147450-distributor.JPG (12.3 KB, 12 views)
post #6 of (permalink) Old 07-15-2003, 08:32 AM
ratlover

No because cylinder 1 could be any post on the distributor. When ever piston 1 should be firing and what ever post the rotor is pointing at is were 1 should be. It always follows firing order starting at 1 and going clockwise though. Most people have the rotor pointing at the driver for cylinder 1 basicly just for some uniformity.....but 1 could be pointing towards the passenger front wheel.....

Does that make sense?

You time that baby?
post #7 of (permalink) Old 07-15-2003, 09:57 AM
Carpal \'Tunnel

Well, you've got the right firing order but they're in the wrong locations if you haven't retimed it. You've got a backwoods hick location theme going on. It's like some goofball put the distributor in 180 and then moved the spark plug wires to compensate. That is what I call engineering an accident.

Yet again, I hereby donate my picture that is probably plastered through the archives:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode