What width are my factory wheels on my 79K20?? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Standard SFA Trucks & SUV's All discussion of full sized Solid Front Axle Trucks, SUV's to include Suburban

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 07-13-2003, 03:54 AM
SHOTGUN

What width are my factory wheels on my 79K20??

I was having been planning forever to put 15x10 8-lug wheels on my K20 with 35" Remington Mud Brutes. I know grinding on the front calipers are required to fit these.

Well I find out tonight from a local boy that our only shop that supplies Remington Tires had the priced upped on them. [img]images/graemlins/bs.gif[/img] [img]images/graemlins/cussing.gif[/img]

So now I'm looking at Buckshot Mudders in the 16" varitey because my cousin has them on his old Phurd F-250 and they dig great and wear well.

Can someone tell me what the width is on my factory wheels, and what is the Maximum tire I can run on them? I believe he is running P78x16 which Nation Tire and Wheel's website says has a outside diameter of 33" and a tread width of about 8.6" which is about right.

Can I fit the Q78x16 Buckshots on my factory wheels? They are supposed to be 36" tall with a width of about 9". If I can run these tires on the OEM wheels I'd love to save $150 plus shipping on wheels from Tyres International [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Thanks.

P.S. if this seems to skip around and not be straight forward I appologize its 3:30AM in my timezone as I write this and I've had 3 hrs sleep [img]images/graemlins/chairfall.gif[/img] )
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 07-13-2003, 09:28 AM

Re: What width are my factory wheels on my 79K20??

Didn't think they put 16" wheels on trucks then, but anyway they are about 6.5 maybe 7" wide. You can put those tires on, maybe run a little less air pressure in them.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 07-14-2003, 08:14 AM
Carpal \'Tunnel

15x10 steel wheels should fit your 10 bolt without caliper grinding. It isn't until you get to the bigger rotors of the Dana 60 that you have problems.

GM used a bunch (I've seen three) of different 16" 8 lug wheels around that time for some peculiar reason. My 77C20 came with 245x75x16 bias plys. The tread width on them were 9.5" wide since bias plys are usually measured at tread width instead of section width. I think those rims are 6.5" wide. I'd go yank one off your truck and measure them though.

I wouldn't run a tire with a wider section width than 10.5" or you'll have donut syndrome.

You might want to look into some other tires as well. I kind of like Mud Kings and they're pretty cheap. So are Laredo MTs.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 07-14-2003, 04:16 PM
SHOTGUN

Well I called Tyres today and they totally stopped production on the "old school" Buckshots about 3 months ago! [img]images/graemlins/cussing.gif[/img]

So now I'm back to square one. Called and priced my Mud Brutes today and they did in fact go up. I'm looking around my area for the best deal on some 36x12.50x15 TSL's....might as well get the best if the rest are priced the same [img]images/graemlins/crybaby.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode